Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2005 Dakota SLT that is experiencing intermittent headlight flickering. There doesn't appear to be any pattern (ie over bumpy conditions, etc). It will happen both when the truck is parked and when driving. However what I have noticed is that the when the headlights go out, it seems to effect both hi/lo beams, the radio illumination gets brighter, but the rest of the dash illumination is unaffected.

Anyone else have this issue or have an idea on how to troubleshoot or narrow down what the problem might be?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,934 Posts
My guess would be your dimmer switch may be going since it's common to both. Please check into our newbie section when you have a minute.

·
Administrator
2,934 Posts
Could be that also or anything in the circuit that supplies the power. Tough to diagnose if you can't make it happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agreed about anything in the circuit... just wondering if there was a trivial way to test certain parts of that circuit...

ie I can tap some part of the harness with a little LED... and when I see the lights flash... is that tapped LED flashing too, helping isolate the problem...

I was having difficult for finding a wiring schematic for the whole headlamp circuit..

Another possibility is the alarm / central locking. I'm not sure if the unit is OEM or aftermarket, I suspect aftermarket as only the front doors locks are powered, and not the rears - I can't imagine an OEM auto locks in a 2005 vehicle done half arsed at the expense of a $10 actuator. Whatever is installed in my truck is certainly flaky was working at one point... not working right now; but I know when it was, arming/disarming flashed the headlights...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts