Dakota Forumz banner

HEADLINER SAG

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  croatankid 
#1 ·
Hello! Wanting to find out how common it is to have head liners sag/fall/hang at the front of 02 or like year Dakotas. Please reply if this happened to you!

#2 ·
It happens to ALL vehicles left out in the sun long enough.

You may want to redo the headliner; or you may just want some stay-up tacks installed.

Dorman sells a few kits ( Dorman Products - Search Results ) that will help that. But. If you want to redo the headliner, I'd skip that so you avoid the holes in the backing board.

Instead, read up on how someone did it in an older Mopar - Fixing Car and Truck Headliners | Allpar Forums and follow up with Holler: Headliner News | Allpar Forums

Or cheat; I took a good board to my nephew who had just opened (at the time!) an upholstery shop. He did it for me.

RwP

#3 · (Edited)
I got my low mileage '03 Dak in '14, & among other annoying things, the headliner was hanging down real bad (if I drove at highway speeds with the window down it would fill up with air like a balloon & blow foam material all over the place). I used a staple gun to tack it up until I got around to taking it somewhere.

Probably what Ralph said about being out in the sun, but also, I read somewhere that cigarette smoke would dry out the glue that holds the liner to the board. The guy I bought my Dak from was a certified HEAVY smoker. While he was smoking one, he was thinking about the next one. I bet it must have took that truck nearly a year to air out to the point that I couldn't smell cigarette smoke anymore. My other two trucks are older than my Dak & have spent some time out in the sun, but their headliners have held up well.

#4 ·
Yep. We just bought our 98 and the guy had replaced the headliner for the sale. Said it was really easy following a video, btw. Otherwise interior was very clean. Went to buy a campershell off of a newer Dakota and his headliner was a mess too! Paint on both vehicles also faded and peeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.