Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for a buch of quick fixes I've been told about, I've never heard of any way to restore a headliner in the ceiling of your truck back to factory condition. My Dakota's a 92 and the headliner right now's being held up by thumb tacks and before long it'll probably make me go insane because I'm OCD when it comes to anyone's vehicle I work on and that goes twice as much for my own. Anyone know how to get this fixed right?

·
Registered
242 Posts
you can order new headliner material from places like jc whitney. just pull the old one out strip all the old material off the board, check and make sure the board is in good shape,then stretch and glue the new material to the board. then put it back in. not too bad just kind of awkward.

·
Registered
842 Posts
you can order new headliner material from places like jc whitney. just pull the old one out strip all the old material off the board, check and make sure the board is in good shape,then stretch and glue the new material to the board. then put it back in. not too bad just kind of awkward.
NICE!!!!!! This info makes me feel like I can do mine as well! Always Cool to see "How To" posts. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've seen a couple of guys buy the headliner glue, and then go to places like hobby lobby or jo-ann fabrics and do a custom headliner that works well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats my plan

I'm going with Country Boy plan, buy a matching fabric from local fabric shop, stretch and glue it in. might even go with a richer looking fabric, but I will be wrapping it around the ends as previously suggested. Figure it to be a weekend project, just waiting for it to warm up here in the frozen nor'd land.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just one more thing: When you strip the old material off the backer, be sure you get a small wire brush & do your best to remove all the "foam" that will remain. And yes, there will ALWAYS be some that sticks to the backer & does NOT come off with the cloth material. If you DON'T remove it, you will be trying to get the new material to adhere to a thin layer of the old foam - and THAT doesn't work at all. Ask me how I know this. As in ALL things, one MUST pay particular attention to detail. The IDEAL condition here is that you will have an old "backer" with absolutely NO foam on it at all before you try to glue your new material to it. ... And finally, FINALLY -> I've always wanted to stitch the new material to the backer at about one foot intervals - "quilt" style. Always thought that might be a little extra "insurance" for the future ... FredT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suggest you use an adhesive made for headliners (about $10-$12 a can). Truck liner should take just 1 can. Most adhesives at the craft stores say on the can not for headliners. And like previously mentioned, use a small wire brush to get off all the "nap" from the liner. Make sure when your spraying on the adhesive you work indoors. A puff of wind will fold up the sprayed liner fabric and you're in trouble. You can Google "replace headliner fabric" to find the fabric and get several good how-videos. I just replaced the liner fabric in my 05 grand caravan over the summer and learned a lot in the process.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
One more thing - if you have a Hancock Fabrics around you, and you join their loyalty club, they used to sell your first order of fabric at 50% off.

Just to keep in mind.

Check with other fabric stores (like Joanns, Hancocks, etc.).

RwP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts