Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 Dakota 4x4 Ext. Cab SLT at the end of Sept. and I knew it would need another Core put but I held off because, it was affecting me or anything at the time and I had other commitments at the time. Didn't count on old man winter rearing up his ugly head this early on this year. My question is: Since I'm not a mechanic, and if I were to replace the core myself, you'd have a hell of a time figuring out what it was that I did to get that Damned thing in backwards. Basically: I need to find a mechanic to do the job for me, what I need to know is ballpark estimated figure as to how much it'll cost for me to get it put in if I purchase the parts myself?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Parts are cheap. Heater core, $41 at Auto Zone. Buy a new blower motor while you're in there, about $30. Spend about another $60 or so on new thermostat, heater hose and if you need them, radiator hoses. Two gallons of antifreeze. So now you're up to about $150 in parts. The labor is the rub. It took me THREE DAYS (I'm old, and I work slow) in my garage to do it myself. A young pup who knew what he was doing could get it done in one full day. Do you have the space, and can you and a buddy give it two days? Otherwise, what does a shop charge for a mechanic's full day? Even the Class B operations will want at least $500 labor, in my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts