Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so finally at 214,xxx miles my heater core has taken a dive. has anyone replaced one yet? im pretty good with tools but i dont know if it will be worth the headache of taking the entire dash apart. i could just for now reroute the hose since its no longer winter but id rather do it the right way.

any advice?

·
Registered
842 Posts
so finally at 214,xxx miles my heater core has taken a dive. has anyone replaced one yet? im pretty good with tools but i dont know if it will be worth the headache of taking the entire dash apart. i could just for now reroute the hose since its no longer winter but id rather do it the right way.

any advice?
I don't know anything about those newer ones, myself. I HAVE HEARD though, that they are a major pain to do. It would be good to get yourself a manual (if you don't have one) anyway. We've got several on here, with the newer Dakotas and Some folks like RamTech, who can most likely lead you in the right direction. Might send HIM a PM on the subject. Wish I could be of more help, I'm pretty new to the Dakotas myself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The dash and heater box have to come out. I'd advise replacing the blower motor while you're in there since its access is gained the same way and yours has some age on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How Difficult to Change

I have a 99' Dakota V8 5.2L, heater core needs to be changed, how difficult is it? I do tune ups and brakes as well as rebuilt cycle engines.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I had mine done. It looked a bit too complicated for me. I wish I had replaced the evaporator core at the same time though; that went out about 6 months later.:( Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did my 2002. Took about 8 hrs not hurrying at all. Biggest thing is you have to have the AC evaced at a shop. Just take your time and follow this thread. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98729 There are some differences in the years so get at the least a Chiltons. I borrowed 1 from the library. I replaced AC core, heater core and the blower motor. I would recommend getting an OEM heater core, I did not, because most say they are much better. Online they are about 10o bucks more than AZ and NAPA etc. Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heater Core Replacement

Thanks for the information, replaced the Heater Core and Blower Motor. Everything went good, broke the squirrel cage trying to remove it from the old motor. Had a friend that had the AC connection tool kit, which was a good thing, you need them if you have AC in our truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts