Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
get a piece of galvanized sheet metal, measure the width of the rust an add 1 1/2 to 2 in. to. that side of the fold. measure how long of a piece you need to cover all rust. if there are any rust holes in the inside sidewall of the bed make a lip wide enough to cover them if not 2 in. should be enough to add to width of metal. fold the metal along this 2 in. lip, then you will ave to make slits in this 2 in lip every 2 in. or so so you can bend the metal around the countour of the fender; i use pop rivets to fasten the metal. aaafter ou have it in place you can cover it with body filler. i then would go to the under or wheel side of the fender and cover the rust holes and a little past with plastic roof cement. i have used this method and it lasts for years. best of luck with your project sincerely 01hunter570

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi, as far as the metal gauge, i think it is about 24 gauge. i usually cut a piece out of some old heating duct work or galvanized stove pipe, just make sure the piece will be wide enough for your application. as far as the roof cement i usually use the wet or dry roof cement but any of it will work, just take a putty knife and spread it smoothly over the underside hole overlapping the inner fender. don't over do it keep it slightly thicker than the inner fender. good luck 01hunter570 ps. should be able to get materials at home depot or any other building supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts