Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 crewcab 4x4 with 4.7. I just removed my bed liner to find significant rust around the tops of both wells. Question is, I'm sure im not the first, so does someone have a successful repair process? Im looking for another bed but thats turning out to be difficult. I would rather do a repair as good as possible. the sidewalls seem solid,but if I start grinding it may go further.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question, for some reason my directional signals go out. To fix them I remove the relay under the hood and or the fuse in cab and clean tabs and reinstall. That seems to work, but happened again after the truck sat for 2 weeks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get a piece of galvanized sheet metal, measure the width of the rust an add 1 1/2 to 2 in. to. that side of the fold. measure how long of a piece you need to cover all rust. if there are any rust holes in the inside sidewall of the bed make a lip wide enough to cover them if not 2 in. should be enough to add to width of metal. fold the metal along this 2 in. lip, then you will ave to make slits in this 2 in lip every 2 in. or so so you can bend the metal around the countour of the fender; i use pop rivets to fasten the metal. aaafter ou have it in place you can cover it with body filler. i then would go to the under or wheel side of the fender and cover the rust holes and a little past with plastic roof cement. i have used this method and it lasts for years. best of luck with your project sincerely 01hunter570
Thank you, Does it matter what gauged sheet metal? Can I get it at home depot? Do u have a product name for the roof cement, never used it on house or auto!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forgot to mention, after cleaning contacts for turn signals put some dialetic grease on the prongs to keep them from re corroding
Thank you, you know whats odd is that I noticed when this happens, if I put on the breakdown flashers, it fixes the directional problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, you know whats odd is that I noticed when this happens, if I put on the breakdown flashers, it fixes the directional problems.
So this happened yesterday again. If the truck sits for a few days it happens. Start truck and turn on directional and nothing. Turn on flashers and bam! turn signals work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts