Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don't own a Dakota yet, that is why I am here. I am looking for a used model to replace my everyday work car and am needing a pick-up for little things around the house and what not. I have not decided on which Gen I am looking at but it will be between a 2-3 Gen. It's just me and the wife so a Quad is not necessary but an extended cab would be something I would consider. No real towing planned so a V-6 could also be an option. I would like to know what to look out for when looking at used models and what engine options are not a good choice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!
good choice in coming to forums like this one BEFORE you buy. it really helps

well, im a bit biased but i like the second gen dakotas, however the newer models a little bigger and the engines are more efficient and make as much if not more power than the older ones

i'd go for a 2005 or newer with the 3.7L PowerTech V6. it makes about 210 HP and should be fine for chores around the house!!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome!
good choice in coming to forums like this one BEFORE you buy. it really helps

well, im a bit biased but i like the second gen dakotas, however the newer models a little bigger and the engines are more efficient and make as much if not more power than the older ones

i'd go for a 2005 or newer with the 3.7L PowerTech V6. it makes about 210 HP and should be fine for chores around the house!!

good luck!
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

I agree with Jerry. I'd also add that even though its just the two of you, I'd consider an extended or quad cab. If you go with a regular cab, like mine, make sure you get a toolbox or locking bed cover for secure storage. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the board and thanks for checking in. I'm a 2nd Gen fan (design & styling). Sounds like you've been doing some good work. OK tends to be flat and lots of open road (friend in Fletcher). If no towing, then a 6 might be a good choice. Extended cab is good for keeping things dry and secure w/o sacrificing bed space. Depends on what will end up in the bed (size: length, width, etc) and how frequently. Enjoy the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts