Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
Welcome to the site, Modstock; it's a great Dakota resource.
Mine is an '03 with a 5.9 & I am sure that there are a ton of differences, but some systems may be similar. I haven't had a ton of problems yet, but I did find myself dealing with a recurring check engine light related to "fuel evap" & that turned out to be all of the tubing under the hood for that system was rotten & cracked. I did have an intermittent crank-but-no-start that devolved into a permanent condition & after troubleshooting determined it to be the PCM which I sent out for an economical repair.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
The first time I rehosed my GMC I had to buy a remote hose clamp pliers. That thing has been a life saver many times since. You'll love it.

As far as the lower hose on my Dakota, the first time I rehosed it, even after I removed the clamp with the remote pliers, I still had to fight to get the hose off the H2O pump. I wound up gouging a hole through it with my xtra-big screwdriver/prybar & working it off in a medival fashion. Jacking it up & working from underneath probably would have made the job easier. I rehosed it again last spring when I flushed it & it came off relatively easy this time.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
New lower hose is on and yes I love that tool. Once i got the clamp off I cut a slit in the end of the hose and it came off easily.
Tommorow i'll top off the coolant and bleed the system.

I remember that I had to do all sorts of barbaric stuff to get that hose off of mine; it was practically fused to the water pump.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
444 Posts
It may be late for this - but one suggestion I've seen and that I've followed is to coat the fittings with some kind of anti-seize (vasoline, actual anti-seize, whatever) so that the rubber doesn't seize to the radiator / water pump / whatever.

RwP
That certainly couldn't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts