Dakota Forumz banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Figures.
On the way home from work, Slowly rolling in between lights about 5-8mph I got tagged by a f250. His front recovery loops hit dead on the rear bumper.
Low speed but felt hard.
Even shifted the shell back a few inches.

Well, can anyone recommend a rear bumper ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Figures.
On the way home from work, Slowly rolling in between lights about 5-8mph I got tagged by a f250. His front recovery loops hit dead on the rear bumper.
Low speed but felt hard.
Even shifted the shell back a few inches.

Well, can anyone recommend a rear bumper ?
Too bad! I'd just find one at a salvage yard, or see if Rockauto sells them if you want to buy new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Insurance will be sending a check.
I was wondering about bumper interchangability from newer models up to 2005 ?
Lots of those year trucks being parted out.

Update::::;; well nix that idea. Most yards here have no dakotas. One place said they had 2 but do they really????
I found a new bumper through Interstate and can deliver today. Cost a bit more but saves me searching in 101° heat tommorow.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
New bumper went on easily. Pre mounted on all the new brackets and it slid right on. Reused the frame bolts cause they had tabs on em to keep from spinning. Bolted on quickly.

Sooo shiney, sooo chrome.

Also moved the shell back and tightened it down properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Saturday we left for a camping trip with trailer in tow. Didnt get very far.
While going uphill, kicked down a gear and heard a pop. Coolant sprayed all over the drivers side hood/windshield.
Upper radiator hose broke below the cap. Damn plastic.
Thank god for AAA. Had it towed back home and swapped over to the XJ, then finished the trip.
Truck is sitting home "grounded" till I feel like getting to it. 🤨

Question:::;
Do they sell this cap piece in steel or other besides plastic???

Was also wondering if the torque twist from the engine is what broke it. Probably old as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Upper hose went quickly using dawn.
Lower hose is a challenge. The clamp is hard to access with my pliers. Trying to be delicate to the plastic radiator.
Thinking of getting one of those remote clamp pliers.
Any tips or tricks I should know about ?
I removed the front rubber piece to get a straight shot.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
371 Posts
The first time I rehosed my GMC I had to buy a remote hose clamp pliers. That thing has been a life saver many times since. You'll love it.

As far as the lower hose on my Dakota, the first time I rehosed it, even after I removed the clamp with the remote pliers, I still had to fight to get the hose off the H2O pump. I wound up gouging a hole through it with my xtra-big screwdriver/prybar & working it off in a medival fashion. Jacking it up & working from underneath probably would have made the job easier. I rehosed it again last spring when I flushed it & it came off relatively easy this time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
New lower hose is on and yes I love that tool. Once i got the clamp off I cut a slit in the end of the hose and it came off easily.
Tommorow i'll top off the coolant and bleed the system.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It may be late for this - but one suggestion I've seen and that I've followed is to coat the fittings with some kind of anti-seize (vasoline, actual anti-seize, whatever) so that the rubber doesn't seize to the radiator / water pump / whatever.

RwP

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
371 Posts
New lower hose is on and yes I love that tool. Once i got the clamp off I cut a slit in the end of the hose and it came off easily.
Tommorow i'll top off the coolant and bleed the system.

I remember that I had to do all sorts of barbaric stuff to get that hose off of mine; it was practically fused to the water pump.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts