Dakota Forumz banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
I just got the OE unit. Haven't picked up the moroso piece yet. I think the diameter was bigger, not sure it's been awhile.
Modstock! That was quick! I didn't know if you were still around.

Anyway, ever since I read your Moroso post, I liked the idea of having a separate aluminum filler/union with two individual hoses so I went ahead & ordered one (& hoses) a while back ago. I was doing my "yearly Dakota service" & I figured I'd swap out the upper rad hose (that I put on last year with the 5 year flush) and . . . the rad cap is a total bitch to get off (especially when it's hot).

But anyway, thanks for coming back to this when I checked in with you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I wonder if it needs a light sanding around the rim. Probably expansion while it's hot.

Since I have most of the mechanical stuff fixed and squared away, it was time to fix the radio. It had a sony aftermarket unit already installed but every time I hit a big bump it would shut off. Also made a horrible screeching sound out of the passenger speaker.
I grabbed a pair of 2ohm front speakers also.

New unit installed , it even fixed the noise but afterwards the speakers were installed. Sounds much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
660 Posts
I wonder if it needs a light sanding around the rim. Probably expansion while it's hot.

Since I have most of the mechanical stuff fixed and squared away, it was time to fix the radio. It had a sony aftermarket unit already installed but every time I hit a big bump it would shut off. Also made a horrible screeching sound out of the passenger speaker.
I grabbed a pair of 2ohm front speakers also.

New unit installed , it even fixed the noise but afterwards the speakers were installed. Sounds much better.
That one's on me, Modstock--the stupid factor was kicking in. When you unscrew the rad cap, it goes into one set of detentes, and then you have to unscrew a bit more it so it finds one last set of detentes, & I wasn't doing that last little twist & it wasn't sitting in that last detente. One of two things (or possibly both): when I installed that Moroso union/rad filler I had already been out in the garage all day & my blood sugar was probably dropping or/and early Alzheimer's kicking in.

So everything is good & I will put that one year old hose in the back for a spare (although it might be kind of a bitch to do that on the side of the road unless I had something in the truck to get one of the hoses off of the thermostat housing/or remove the 'stat housing). I did note that the Moroso rad filler/union is A} a real TIGHT fit (which is better than being a sloppy loose fit) and B) that the ridged areas on it that the rad hoses have to slip over is not chamfered, it is just squared off, making me see that as a possible early wear/leak area. Probably me just being paranoid, and since I change out my cooling system hoses on a schedule, by the time the ridges would wear through the hoses and blow a leak, I probably would have changed them out anyway.

Good deal on your stereo, it sounds like that Dak is turning out to be a real nice truck for you.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts