Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2008 Dakota with the 6 Alpine Speaker and 276 watt amp.. I guess I expected more out of this setup. looking to upgrade. Has anyone just upgraded speakers to get a more powerful sound ? Mopar has those Kicker speakers.. any thoughts? thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kicker is a good brand but so is alpine. I would pick one or the other to start with changing i.e. speakers or head unit. Speakers are easier but make sure you get all the same style and brand to be sure they all handle the same frequencies. If you choose to do the HU just make sure you get all the connectors and kits for it. A good head unit can make crappie speakers sound pretty good. I'm about to do a full swap on my 02 so I can give you some heads up with the components I picked out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an Alpine media player with kicker 65cs 6 1/2s in the front door with infinity 1" tweets and infinity marine 6.5s in the rear door. I removed my rear seats out ofy 06 dakota quadcab and built a platform and put a 4.5 cu. Ft. Box back there with 2 sundown audio sa12s powered by a phoenix gold sx1200.1 mono backed up by a fosgate cap and another 12v aux batt. My oscill. Reads 138.3 dbs. Worth every cent

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok,

Those kicker speakers that Mopar sells will not be much better than a factory replacement. I have sold gear for many years as well as been an installer for a few as too. Not at all worth the Mopar dollar.

Your question is really quite a very difficult one to answer without first having firing a few more back at you?

Budget?
Obviously the larger your budget is, the larger your SPL(Sound Pressure Level, db level basically) can get and the better your SQ (Sound Quality) will also get

That leads you to the next set of questions, do I want an SPL system(Stupid dumb bass the makes my heart skip a beat)

, or an SQ system(reasonably balanced bass that is still much more prominent than a stock system if subwoofer present)

Who will install the gear? An excellent and experienced installer or shop that will charge a bit more is by far a much better choice than a newbie charging less or less reputable shop.

Brand names and gear can be easily mixed up, even differentiating between front and rear isn't all that necessary as rear speakers are just fill, spend the bulk of your budget in these three areas, #1 Amplification, #2 Source, and #3 FRONT drivers,

A really good value system to start is a good set of front component speakers, a four channel amp that you're going to run in 3 channel mode with a subwoofer, rears will run off of regular deck power. If you want to further this system, you can add a better head unit.

Make sure the amp can receive high-level inputs in case you want to use a stock deck. Spend as much of your budget on the amplifier first and foremost, which means, no Pyramid, Pyle, and the like. Then comes the front speakers. The sub should actually carry even less of a budget than the box it rests in to be honest. A prefab box will work and can sound nice; yes, but a custom box by a good installer will ALWAYS out perform a prefab box.

Hope this helps

Whoops, now I see that first thread was started almost 2 years ago,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honestly, the kicker cs65s i have in my rear doors sound better than all the other 6.5s that ive tried(polk audio, mb quart, powerbass and infinity). Im getting the kicker comp. system for my front doors(kicker csc65).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea, i put i. Some alpines in mine from best buy, about 90 for them, came with tweeters and everything to install them, put them in and hu was not good, so got a cheap head from walmart 60 bucks, bt aux not bad its jvc i think, came with mic, very useful, some distortion but i think its not enough to push the alpines all the way up. You can get really good ideas at crutch feild, and price is the limit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts