Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people I hope things are going well for everyone. I'm a Dakota owner now for less than a year. I purchased a low mileage 1998 Dakota with the 3.9 V6 to use for my work truck. Things have been good with it up until last night on my way home from work. I noticed the heat was not working then it over heated several times. Maybe someone can shed some light on where I need to start the repair process. Thanks.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hello people I hope things are going well for everyone. I'm a Dakota owner now for less than a year. I purchased a low mileage 1998 Dakota with the 3.9 V6 to use for my work truck. Things have been good with it up until last night on my way home from work. I noticed the heat was not working then it over heated several times. Maybe someone can shed some light on where I need to start the repair process. Thanks.
I'm assuming that you haven't done anything under the hood yet. In that case, I'd check your coolant level in the radiator. If that's good, it could be that you have a stuck thermostat. That would keep the coolant in the engine and not let it circulate, causing the engine to overheat and not send the heated coolant to the heater. Now, IF you had, for example, changed the coolant in the radiator, it is possible that you would have a pocket of air in the system and that can cause problems. Thought I'd throw that in, because if you do the work your self, you COULD have that happen. Good Luck with getting that taken care of. Hope I have helped.

BTW, Welcome to the ForumZ! ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Dakota Z, glad to have you join us! Sorry to hear about your problem, though, and looks like Bill has some good advice for you as that's where I would start looking, too. Only other things that come to mind for me, clogged heater core, possibly leaking head gasket, but good luck and be sure to keep us posted! Great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us. It looks like all the bases have been covered on your overheating problem. Good luck with the diagnosis and repair. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! and i agree, looks like you have some great advice on where to start looking. please let us know what you find out, we will do what we can to help out!

G

·
im going through a similar problem, my 04 3.7L seems to overheat at low rpm and idle. the heater blows cold at idle and low rpm but at highway speeds the heat blows hot and the engine cools down. my coolant levels are fine, thermostat is new, fan works fine, and the water pump doesnt leak through weep hole. i read if my belt is fully stretched the tensioner would cause the water pump to not pump correctly. Has anyone else heard this? also besides radiator/ heater core flush what could be the issue? thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
im going through a similar problem, my 04 3.7L seems to overheat at low rpm and idle. the heater blows cold at idle and low rpm but at highway speeds the heat blows hot and the engine cools down. my coolant levels are fine, thermostat is new, fan works fine, and the water pump doesnt leak through weep hole. i read if my belt is fully stretched the tensioner would cause the water pump to not pump correctly. Has anyone else heard this? also besides radiator/ heater core flush what could be the issue? thanks
With the 3.7 engine and a new stat, there's a very good chance your cooling system is air locked. The level will appear full but you'll have overheating and lack of cab heat problems. The best way to remove trapped air is with a vacuum lift pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts