Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I am a newbie to this site. I bought my 97 dodge dakota regular cab less than a year ago and I am currently in the process of giving it a face-lift. I have the 318 and a five speed to boot, the truck has a 3.92(i think--i am new to mopar). I used to always drive GM but don't like what they are doing there anymore and needed something to pull my pop up. My last ride was a bagged S-10 although I am not going that way with this truck. No lowering at all will be done here. My truck had no clear coat when I got it and I am currently getting it ready to re-shoot this summer while I am out of college amongst other things. I have grown to really like this truck except for the mileage. So I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you guys will be like you need to move that to another forum but I'll see what bites I get here first. First question- I am upgrading many parts of my 318 to give me better midrange power, with the way my truck is geared and the tranny combo I get poor interstate mileage as well as crappy power in 5th gear(mainly in tow). I have put headers, exhaust, and a cold air intake kit and have a 50mm TB, Firepower ignition kit, and an electric flex-a-lite fan on the way. My question is this: I have bought ford 19 lb. 4 hole pintle injectors to upgrade my current ones. Will my stock fuel pump be able to keep up with those injectors or will it need to be changed. Question 2: Has anyone successfully tried to swap out a 5-speed in a 2nd gen dakota for a 6-speed out of a gen 3? I have some cash but am not rich and just wonder if this is realistic? I need another gear on the interstate to keep my revs down to add mileage and was thinking since they are still magnum v-8's in those dakota's how hard(if at all) it would be to swap them out. A rear end gear change wouldn't help because of what I use it for, plus I do like to drive it fast when not in tow just because it's fun. My truck will go 0-60 quick but 60-100 is laughable with all very tall 5th gear. I've got my r/t wheels, paint, SS inserts, r/t badges, and everything else I need to finish this truck out this summer and just would like to know if any of you guys have any insight on these things. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome and yeah you will probably get more responses posting specific questions in the proper forums (and i see that you already have!)

and this is strictly my humble opinion, but i am an R/T purist so i must protest the idea of putting R/T badges on ANY non-R/T vehicle. it just isn't right :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's cool. I can appreciate that but with the mods I already have to my newly rebuilt 318(which i kept in lew of the 360 which you can pickup at any junkyard for $500 or less) I have had no problems smoking two of the local automatic R/T pickups and I'm not done with the performance mods yet. I say if I line it up against an R/T or some of the local GT 'stangs and Z28 camaros and win it will be just fine in my opinion and that's the only one that matters. Plus I'm not making it a dakota R/T--no vinyl emblems are going on my truck. I am doing an old school r/t badge on the grille with HO V-8 badges in lew of the magnum V-8 badge and doing a red rear stripe on the bed with the old school R/T emblem incorporated in it(kinda like the rumble bee stripe) so it won't look like your R/T or some other stock R/T it will look like it's own--they didn't even offer a 360 in 97(the first year of the gen II), nor an R/T model. 318 was the best you could get so I kept it the same and re-built the motor even though absolutely nothing was wrong with it, but it did have 186,000 when I got it. Plus I'm not false advertising I think it's more than worthy especially since guys have been known to put those dakota R/T emblem sets on 4 banger and V-6 trucks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
thats all true :) keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts