Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and wanted to say hello. I have a
1991 Dakota (2wd) 3.9v6 with 250,000 miles. My problem is this: I will be driving along and the engine will stop with no warning. Sometimes there will be a small backfire but not always. If I try to start right away the motor will turn over but will not start. If I wait approx. 10 to 15 minutes it will fire and I will continue driving. The garage replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor/rotor, coil and fuel filter and said the fuel pressure was good,but the problem still persists. They could not get it to duplicate problem. Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

I'm not really familiar with your engine, so I'm not going to be of much help. You may want to leave a visitor message for SPC.Brinkmeyer or Ramtech; they may be able to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temperature

Thanks for replying. I will have driven for approx. 10 minutes before it stops, so yes the engine will be warmed up. It has happened in the morning and in the late afternoon so the outside temp. will be between 80 and 90 degrees F.

·
Registered
115 Posts
had a friend with a RX-8 that was doing something similar...

it ran and drove fine until he went to get gas or slowed down off of highway speeds to city speeds and under hood temps raised. his car would shut off and not allow him to restart for aprox. 10 min turned out it was either the temp sending unit that sent to the PCM was sending higher temps than it should have been or the PCM was reading higher temps for some reason he wound up swapping PCM and all temp sensors and his Tstat and worked fine ever sence

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all!

I'm gald I found this forum. I bought a 1998 Dakota Sport, V6 Magnum 4x4 about two months ago. It's in "near mint" condition. This is without question the finest truck I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you with us!

Hey Fugit - you should start your own New Member thread to get the proper welcomes! :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
try popping the rotor cap off and pulling the rotor off check the striker on the rotor to see if it loose. welcome aboard!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts