Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 dakota auto with a v6. about a month ago it started acting up, Bad gas milage(16mpg) then started to randomly just die. Going down the hwy or idleing. Cold or hot dont matter. just random. Come to find out that my Cat converter was stoped up, so i cut the muffler off, ran a rod thro the cat and broke all that junk up, cranked up the truck and blew it all out. now its loud of course and still has the second O2 sensor in and is cut 1inch past that. it ran fine for a few days, and yesterday it started acting out again. Dies, hard to start, gota wait 30 seconds to a min to try starting it and it will start rite up and then die/or idle rough straighten out and then try dieing again, i can keep my foot in the gas to keep it alive but sometimes it dont help. It will misfire and Backfire like crazy! after a few mins of repeatedly fighting with it, it starts up and drives fine! Wat the eff!? my check engine lite is on! so i used my code reader. and Igniton coil and secondary air injection pump wat it reads. well i replaced the coil and it still thros the code fore it. as for air injection pump...?wat is that!? thats my only codes, i know wat a misfire feels like and by gawly my truck is misfireing when it acts up but it dont thro codes... im thinking some kind of sensor is gone wack! but which one!? at this point its a guessing game...but which one should i replace first!? i can get ALL sensors NEW from ebay for about 200bux or less! but i dont wana spend that much if i can lean towards one to replace to fix without haveing to buy them all.... any thoughts.... i hope i posted my help wanted in the rite area, i am new and a newbie on motors... be patient with me lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and im still driving it daily...as its my only ride rite now till ive goten my camaro fixed.... question: should i still be driving it, will it hurt to keep driving it. cuz randomly it runs and drives fine, but sumtimes with it acting up them backfires are BAD loud! also another thought... could it possibly be a bad vaccum leak, i dont hear any leak under the hood but dont mean it ant there rite?

·
Registered
830 Posts
i have a 98 dakota auto with a v6. about a month ago it started acting up, It will misfire and Backfire like crazy!

as for air injection pump...?wat is that!? thats my only codes,

im thinking some kind of sensor is gone wack! but which one!? at this point its a guessing game...but which one should i replace first!?
What were the P-codes? You should always write them (and the date)down in a journal that you keep in the glove compartment for future reference,even if you reset them.

Random dieing and backfiring is not a good thing. I would suspect from
the vague description of your symptom could likely be a spark timing problem... or lack of.
Modifiying the cat/removing the catalyst will affect the exhaust back pressure and the remaining sensor as well.
Never heard of a "secondary air injection pump" on the magnum V6/V8..
my V8 certainly doesn't have one.

Replacing sensors without troubleshooting the problem is expensive
with hit and miss. How did you read the check engine codes?
And did you just interpret generic codes or find the Chrysler set?
Sometimes they are different.

I would suggest to start with the camshaft sensor first, as it is in the distributor on these magnum V6/v8s, easy to get at, and controls the
ignition timing.

The other one is the crank sensor that is located on the bell housing on the RHS.

Both these sensors are hall effect (solid state) and can give you problems sometimes.

There is no real way of testing them for resistance with Digital Voltmeter as they produce a fast pulse voltage of 0.3 to 4.5 volts, when sensing a magnetic ring so you won't be able to read it .
These pulses are used as timing inputs for both spark and injector sequencing on the magnums.

·
Registered
830 Posts
question: should i still be driving it, will it hurt to keep driving it. cuz randomly it runs and drives fine, but sumtimes with it acting up them backfires are BAD loud! also another thought... could it possibly be a bad vaccum leak, i dont hear any leak under the hood but dont mean it ant there rite?
Well you certainly are taking chances driving it in that condition.
Backfires are never a good thing. Vacumn leak will cause a rough idle,
but I can't see it producing a backfire. Backfire can be unburnt fuel/air accumulated in the exhaust system.
Didn't you mention you removed the "plugged catalyst" in the cat?

A plug misfire can also cause a backfire. This could be bad spark plug
wires, distributor cap or rotor. If it is randomly misfiring, the check
engine light code should tell you something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow just had a page typed up for a reply and wat ya kno. comp crashed! ugh! anywho im getting my codes from a obdII code reader from autozone, the cheep one with the book lol. for the air injection pump system 2 the code read P1492, i forget the code for the ignition coil, like i said i replaced that and it still thros that code. and i did clear the codes but they immediatly come back on. it does misfire randomly but no codes every get thrown for it. the truck does back fire REAL loud when i put my foot in the gas trying to start or keep it running! never going down the road when its running fine. I can go out to it rite now and start it up and drive it anywhere, its acting fine. but sumtimes i can start it and it may act up imediately or wait till im down the road a few miles then act up. its like someone just reached over and turned the key off. i thro it in neutral and try to restart it, or stop and try. i never starts immediately, i have to wait a few seconds to a min and try, and it fires rite up and then in 5 to 10 seconds trys to die, thats when i try to put my foot in the gas to keep it alive... thats when i get backfires sometimes. patting the gas trying to keep it running sometimes works and sometimes fails. have to try again. spits and sputters stalls and falls. after trying a while i get it runnin rev the darn thing up pop it in drive and hold it to the floor and haul butt! acts up all thro the rpm ranges an if i get it up to 60 i know its cleared up for now, till the next day/time lol. i had this problem before i cut the muffler off and gutted the cat. only diff now is its loudest thang on the road! surprised i ant got a ticket yet. i found a shop to thro my truck on a bigger computer and they can diagnose my issues for 100bux. wow. i found on ebay NEW with Lifte warranty all sensors for this truck (i replace myself i guess) for 150-200bux depending on name brands. i for one ant one to pay more for a name. but idk, guess i could go either way. i read online that an air injection pump is placed in the exhaust and pulls outside air into the exhaust...? i cant find that darn thing on my truck for nuthing so the code it thros for it must be wrong and im looking up wrong codes. idk all i know is that this truck is a nightmare, im really crossing my fingers and hopeing its not a fuel pump or some other major bs heavy labor replacement. all i know to do is make the multiple guesses and pull the shoot and misses/score! just pricey, i dont have alot of cash or time. so im asking around before i start ordering crap and makeing a money pit. tomorrow ima try and trace wires. herd i may have a loose ground wire maybe... also was told fuel filter but i looked and looked for one and then found out that my truck dont have one, filter is built in the fuel pump. ugh. wat a joke... if i could ask dodge any 1 question thatd be it! WHY THE CRAP WHOULD THEY PUT THE DARN FILTER BULIT IN THE FUEL PUMP!? just to make u spend the money to buy a whole new pump? money greedy hungry people! ... but then again arent we all...? lol i love dodges but, thankin i shoulda baught a chevy bahaha. ...im comeing off my pissed off mood to a happy idc anymore lol.... ill keep posting till i fix this darn thing, maybe sum1 else will learn from this experience.......

·
Registered
830 Posts
You should break up yer long posts into paragraphs for easier reading. :D

Ok, P1492 is a battery temperature sensor voltage too high...a minor problem, but nothing to do with your current symptom.

You have a random misfire symptom.
What is the other one?

The fuel filter is located in the fuel pump module in the tank. The filter is part of the pressure regulator and the
fuel line works at 45psi..so I guess they don't want shadetree mechanics working on the injection system installing
filters and having engine fires as a result..you have to change the whole fuel pump module and to do that
you have to drop the gas tank! An expensive repair, if that is required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol whoops sorry bout that, ya now that i look back at my last post its a lil much.

but i went out to "tinker" with my truck today and it whouldt turn over cause of loose batt connection! ive got new posts but posi came loose. i tightend them right up and it fired up. drove 2 blocks and ...ca-blewie! it died rollin around 20mph and had a big backfire and that was it. had to wait 3mins on side of the road and tryed again. blah.

i noticed now that after i drove it for about 20 mins, it stoped acting up. and hasnt acted up since. like maybe when its running at normal temp it stops its bs. but still does it rarely. hmmmmm....

lol im tired of the SSDD. id almost be kinda happy if i could get a new symptom out of it. maybe then i could fix something bahaha. bout to thro a 4sale sign on it and say as is make offer :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, i know this thread is a couple years old but i am having the same exact symptoms with my 98 3.9 dakota, it only happens when it gets cold out tho and was fine throughout summer. If someone can please help i would greatly appreciate it, as i am at a lost. i dont get any codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts