Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently replaced my water pump in my 04 dakota 4.7 because it was totally shot. immediately after doing so my truck is now overheating , and my heater is blowing cold air. also my top rad hose is hot to touch and my bottom one is cold. figured maybe i cooked my thermostat in the process so i replaced that and it's fine checked it in hot water. rad isnt blocked so im running out of options. did i screw something up in the process of installing the new water pump ? ive burped it a million and a half times and it doesnt seem the coolant is circulating so im pretty sure it's the water pump , but its brand new. somebody pleaaaase help any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks , brandon

·
Registered
250 Posts
You most likely still have air trapped in the cooling system. The 4.7 is notoriously difficult to get the air out of, especially when the block has been emptied. The best way to remove the air is with an air operated vacuum lift pump. If you don't have access to one, try this: remove the radiator cap and bleeder plug from the water outlet. Pinch off the upper hose between the filler and cap. Fill the system until coolant comes out of the filler neck. Replace the cap and plug and remove the pinch off and fire it up. If it doesn't work, you may need to find a shop with a lift pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay im guessing i need to remove the spring inside the hose to pinch it off ? also when you say pinch it between the filler and the cap you mean between the bleeder plug and the cap ? and im guessing i would need to drain the system again before re filling it using this method ?
brandon

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ah crap. I forgot about the spring. you may need to remove the hose at the radiator and fill from there instead. I don't see a need to drain the system first but it may take a few minutes to get the air out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay so remove the hose at the radiator and fill the rad and the engine block separately ? sorry i suck at this im just a kid trying to make his truck work. what does pinching the hose do in terms of getting the air out ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pinching the hose is to force coolant into the engine block where it can displace any air and send it out the radiator. Since you have the spring, removing the hose will accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried that and still nothing. do you think maybe i could have forgot to remove a plug or something from the new water pump when i put it in ? good old rookie mistake , but i would be so happy if it was something as simple as that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes spring in the block. i got it all figured out today i tried your method of filling it and nothing so i said screw it and pulled off my water pump again , turns out i forgot to take the cap off haha. ohhhh well lesson learned and im getting good at it only took me 45 minutes to pull it all apart and put it back together. thanks alot for your help youre the man !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts