Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.
I’ve got an 07, V6, I wrecked the front end and am trying to rebuild. I’m trying to remove what I believe is technically called the radiator enclosure. (Dog house frame rails that fenders, battery box etc bolt to.)

At the bottom for each side there is an 18mm bolt that has is secured to the shotgun rails that I can’t get to break loose. It does spin but the bushing it’s connected to spins with it and I can’t figure out how to make it stop so I can turn the bolt. It looks like it possibly takes a rather large Allen wrench, but it must have a hole in the center to allow for the bolt to enter so it can slide into place. Despite my best effort I can’t seem to find this tool if it exists.
If anyone knows the proper way to remove these, or what specific tool is required I’d love to know.
0D380249-D8AC-4B80-850F-4C8DB4FC8D78.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that's one of that were only engineered to be installed, never to be removed again. They usually are not tightened very much but at this point you would be fighting the rust not the torque.

This is what the top piece looked like when it was new:

Bottom : Amazon.com: Genuine Chrysler 52013505AA Frame to Body Isolator: Automotive
Top : 2005-2011 Ram Dakota Frame To Body Isolator 52013505AA | GetOEMParts.com

If you are really really strapped for cash, you could probably chisel the rubber piece labeled #7 in the link below labeled "Body Hold Down" until you can get the metal sleeve exposed then grab it with the largest pair of vice grips you can get your hands on. This would hopefully allow you to remove the bolt, but you might end up needing to hit it with fire to get it to move at all. If you have to use fire you might be looking at replacing one or more of the rubber bushings per side also.

Your job will be much simpler and have better results if you can swing another $100 for 2 each of #6 and #8 on this page : Body Hold Down. . This also allows you to get as violent as required to get the thing apart. This can mean grinding off the bottom of the bolt and hammering it up through which will be much easier.

I've been thinking of replacing my engine box/radiator closure arms also. I hacked in a lower radiator support a couple years ago and now the closure arms are rotted out around it. I've been hesitant though because I'm still driving it and can't get a look under the fender to see how the arms separate on the firewall side. Are they spot welded anywhere or do they just bolt up?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts