Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Justin and I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if i do something wrong. But I have a 1996 dodge dakota and i bought it with about 96000 miles on it and I've notice when its cold out and start up my truck it has a hard time shifting into second and third but after 3 it has no problem. It only does this when its cold, once the engine has warmed up i have no problems. Is there any reason for this and is there a way to fix it? Hopefully someone can help me thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so i had the same problem with my 92 dakota all it took with mine was simply emptying the pan and adding a thinner gear lube hope it helps

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
had the same issue with mine, had the tranny fluid changed. drop the pan and refill, about 4-5 quarts. took about a week, but it doesnt seem to do it anymore. plus its getting warmer

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am assuming automatic. I have a 95 3.9L auto that took 2 to 3 miles of diving to get into third gear. Also would not go into reverse cold. Fluid change did not help. I had been driving it that way for nine years. I used a Lucas transmission additive intended for freeing sticking valves and it worked. Give it a little time to free it up. Mine took a couple of weeks. Just make sure it is the additive to free sticking valves. I put in about 16 ounces from the 24 ounce bottle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts