Dakota Forumz banner

hey folks new here but this truck is killing me!!!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  volaredon 
#1 ·
So I bought a 2003 Dakota R/T and it ran great until a screw fell into the block damaging the #8 piston, so I placed another 5.9 from a 2001 dodge ram and now it backfires and spits like crazy, I put all the sensors from the old block on there, replaced the plugs and wires and its still acting dumb so tell me is there a difference from the 2001 5.9 and the 2003 5.9? if not then wth am I doing wrong?:mad:

#2 ·
Somewhere in the early 2000's Dodge changed from a 16 tooth reluctor to a 32 tooth reluctor; you may be having that problem (notes I find say it went to 32pin in 2004; but if your luck is like mine, your 2003 was a very, very late 2003 and got it anyway with a 32tooth ECU. Le sigh.)

RwP

#3 ·
wow well that would make sense cause it seemed to run fine for a min then when I put it in gear that's when it started the problems and now im scared to move it lol
ill look into the reluctor, do you think it would be easier to just put the pcm in my truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.