Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have a 2001 dakota slt 4 door 4 wheel drive with the 5.9 360. I love it I've just had trouble with it ever since I bought it. I don't exactly know a whole lot about motors and vehicles and I've been trying to figure out what to do. Here are some of the ways my truck acts up: I'll crank it up and put it in drive and it feels as if it is in a higher gear. I Really have to get on the gas to get it rolling but once I'm at interstate cruising spends like 70 mph and I'm at around 2k rpms when I get on it it will downshift and I get the power I should be getting out of it. Also when I really get down on the accelerator I get black smoke and it smells like it is running rich. I don't understand that because I just got brand new cats and oxygen sensors installed along with true dual exhaust with a dual in dual out flow master super 40 series muffler on it. Sounds great and I can definitely feel a difference in power and it runs a lot better compared to my Y-Ed straights I had that broke off at my y pipe and I had no back pressure. But it still smells like it is running rich and I'm still getting black smoke. Also at ransoms times when I am cruising at low speeds it likes to throw itself down in a lower gear until I let out of the gas and it will shift back up. Also when I accelerate it feels like it it restricted and unless I put it all the way to the floor and let back up it will gurgle at pop as if it is back firing. But if it put it to the floor and let back up it won't do that. Sorry guys I know that's a lot to read but if anybody knows what is wrong to any of these problems and has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Also forgot to mention that I had three cylinder misfire codes before I changed plugs, plug wires and distributor cap and haven't had codes pulled since

1 - 1 of 1 Posts