Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 04 Dakota with AWD and the 4.7 (203k miles) a few weeks ago. I’ve never owned or worked on a Dodge or a v8 before, so this is all very new to me.

The truck ran fine but had a rough idle so I replaced the spark plugs as part of a tune up. I pulled off part of the intake to reach the plugs on passenger’s side. When I put it back together it and started it up it started idling really high (1500 rpm). When I was digging around I noticed that the tube connected to the pcv valve isn’t connected to anything (circled in red). There’s also a tube missing from the air box (circled in blue). Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on here? Pictures of how things should look would be very helpful too.

I don’t know if it’s related, but before the high idle it was throwing code P0499
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
957 Posts
I don't have a 4.7L, so can't provide any pictures, but there are a couple of YouTube videos that may help you out. The first one is for a 2007 Durango with the 4.7 that has the same high idle problem, and it was because the PCV valve tube had come disconnected from the vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold/plenum. (The PCV valve itself is located in a different location in 2007). I think this is where your line circled in red is supposed to connect to. See PCV port in intake manifold.

The nipple in the blue circle is for the fresh air intake to the engine for the PCV system. There is supposed to be a hose connected there that splits off to two "crankcase breathers", one mounted at the back of each cylinder head. They allow fresh air into the crankcase system for the PCV valve to suck out. See this video, especially at 5:45 and 10:40 into the video for how these hoses are positioned on the engine: Vent hoses

1 - 3 of 3 Posts