Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my water pump right now in my 02 4.7, but I have no idea how to get the fan off. I know the make special fan removal tools, but if at all possible I would prefer to not spend the money on it. I already have the fan cover/coolant and washer fluid reservoir off so there's a little more room.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've been doing, everything I can find uses the tool. Was gonna just buy one but the only ones I can find are $30 and that seems a little pricey just to take the fan off. Gonna stop by a mechanic buddy's tomorrow and see if he has one.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Find a wrench that fits on the nut holding the fan to the water pump, hopefully with a long handle (a crescent wrench will work, even a pipe wrench if it is thin enough). Then, with the serpentine belt still in place, whack the end of the wrench with a heavy hammer a few times in a counter-clockwise direction. Once the initial torque is broken free, you should be able to spin the fan off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, as I read this I just got the fan off! Of course like everything else on this truck the bolts to the water pump are froze with rust, so a lot of penetrating oil and waiting now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooooo true bro 😂😂😂 Getting so sick of waiting on penetrating oil all the time though. Took the entire air and throttle system apart too, but I think I just got more questions than answers haha!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That's what I've been doing, everything I can find uses the tool. Was gonna just buy one but the only ones I can find are $30 and that seems a little pricey just to take the fan off. Gonna stop by a mechanic buddy's tomorrow and see if he has one.
This is a bit late for you now, but for anything else - don't forget to check into the Loan-A-Tool or Rent-A-Tool program at the big box parts store. You pay for it, use it, and get 100% of your money back.

RwP

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the idea, I'll keep it in mind! Closest large town is 45 mins from me but that would still save a lot of money the more expensive tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts