Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have done a transmission filter change in my 2000 dodge 4.7. I put back in 6 quarts of oil and it is still not to the "HOT" fill mark on the stick how much more do i need to put in. While i checked it i let it run and get to the normal temp. Please help

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ok i have done a transmission filter change in my 2000 dodge 4.7. I put back in 6 quarts of oil and it is still not to the "HOT" fill mark on the stick how much more do i need to put in. While i checked it i let it run and get to the normal temp. Please help
Depends on the transmission, but if it's a 46re on your truck (and most likely it is) , and.... all you did was drop the pan, change the filter, it should be around 4.1 quarts of ATF for a simple fluid change and nothing else done to it.

Fluid levels on the dipstick on Dodge transmissions should be checked with
the transmission at normal operating temps for a final reading on the "hot"
mark and the transmission should be in N not P (ark), as the torque convertor does not completely fill in Park. When you move the gearshift to N, the transmission fluid pressure pump fills up the torque convertor.

If you drained the torque converter as well, then it could take up to 12 quarts for a completely dry fill.

Dry fill:
46re Dakota 3 speed with O/D unit (4 speed) 11.7 quarts.
47re (Ram) 4 speed could take as much as 17 quarts for a dry fill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all id did was drop the pan and change both of the filters. i put 6 quarts back in it and it is still not up to the hot fill line on the stick. I am not sure what transmission is in it but it is a 2000 dodge 4.7 automatic

·
Registered
830 Posts
all id did was drop the pan and change both of the filters. i put 6 quarts back in it and it is still not up to the hot fill line on the stick. I am not sure what transmission is in it but it is a 2000 dodge 4.7 automatic
All you did was drop the pan, change the filter and gasket and you say
it has taken 6 quarts?

WHAT TYPE OF ATF DID YOU USE?

Something doesn't sound quite right..could be a leak underneath
the transmission pan? When you shift through the gears does the
transmission respond without slippage?

Did you put a new gasket on the pan before bolting it on?
Wipe the tip and make sure the transmission dipstick is all the way down

To which marker on the dipstick did the old fluid level reach?

How did you catch the old fluid?
If you still have the old fluid.. measure it in some kind of container and
see how many quarts came out of the pan when you dropped it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i used ATF 4 and i think it may have been low when i drained it but idk how much came out, there is no leaks or anything like that and yes i put a gasket back on. It is a lil over the cold fill mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts