Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so, I currently don't own a vehicle at all and I'm looking at buying a dodge Dakota. My dad doesn't know how much it would be worth since it has a bunch of extra stuff with it and I don't know either. So I'm ask for your guys' input for how much it would be worth. The truck is a 2000 and yellow with about 134k miles. The engine is a v8, 4.7L, with 4 wheel drive. It is an extended cab with a tonneau cover on the back. It has a cold air intake and completely after market exhaust except for 1 part of it. It has an engine chip, but I don't really know what type it is. The Dakota has a 3" lift and 33" tires. It also has a sound system in the back.

Cons: One of the amps in the sound system is out so I would have to buy a new one. The A/C isn't working, the guy just doesn't bother to find out whats wrong with it since he has another vehicle.

BTW, the guy is asking $5200 for it, and has been trying to sell it for like 4 weeks now.
Any input is appreciated, and thanks for looking!

·
Registered
30 Posts
To me that sounds like a good deal. so long as it runs good i would get it and just take it to a shop to have the AC fixed if you don’t know how to. if you have a OBD II scanner I would plug that into it and see if there are any codes that pop up also take it for a nice long test drive 10-15 min some city and some highway to get a feel for it. also is there a lift on it or did he just crank the torsion keys up and block the real leaf springs? if that all he did then at most it cost him $50 for the blocks. also what kind of sound system is it and will you keep it or change it out once you buy the truck. if you could post pics that would also help out allot! and just because it has 33 on it means nothing if they are worn down and need replacing soon! Make sure the 4X4 works in all gears in high and low! had a friend buy a truck and the 4X4 only worked in high and only in 1st gear. when he bought it all he did was put it in 4 high and drove up a small hill so he though it all worked! sadly it didn’t and we ended up replacing the whole t-case :( check all the fluids if they are burnt up that means he didn’t take care of the truck as well as he should have and there might be other problems down the road. but also be weary if they are all new and clean that just means he changed them before selling! in my experience if the fluids have some mild discoloration but still look clean that means they took care of the truck! I bought my 2000 Dakota with 147k on it and it ran great until I blew the engine (my own dumb fault nothing to-do with the truck!) the more info you give the better myself and others can help but with the current info I would say offer him 4.5k and pay 5k trying to save a lil cash for a FULL service once the truck is yours. this means plugs wires air filter oil change chassis lube alignment check and trans service! all you can do yourself aside from the alignment! and if you get the truck buy the Haynes manual or Chilton Manual as they are nice to have for trouble shooting! I hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ekeadin, thansk for the info, i dont have any pics of it, but i would keep the sound system and then i think he has a real lift on it. and I also have an OBD scanner so if i buy it ill plug it in and see what comes up, but if the ac doesnt work its not a big deal to me. And im pretty sure the tires have pretty good thread if i can remember correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i should add the tires have like 25% tread left, the dashboard is cracking, and the middle console is loose, but he has the bracket to fix it just hasnt yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i agree with razorback. if he wont go that low just keep looking and with any luck he will still have it after a week or so and be more willing to settle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im pretty sure this is it: http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/3552243340.html
And if that is not it, it is just like that but the AC doesnt work...
There are pictures on that site.
2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 - $4500 (Green Bay)

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 club cab, 4.7L, 130K miles, 3" body lift, match painted hard locking tonneau cover, tow package, 33x11.5 kuhmo road venture MT tires on chrome 15" wheels - tinted rear windows, bright yellow - catches attention

Performace mods: full JBA exhaust including headers, jet module stage 2 chip, AirRaid Cold air intake - truck pulls better than most full size

custom stereo all around / back seat with 2 12" subwoofers, only room for one small person in back. Alpine receiver, phoenix gold components, speakers, subwoofers. Audiobahn 800 class D amp for subs, needs new 4 channel amp for highs/mids orbe wired to deck directly.

truck does have some cosmetic defects: clear coat has started to peel on the hood and roof, nowhere else on body. a few small rust spots near bottom rail of passenger side bed, small dent/ rust on rear pass. wheel well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the truck looks good bud id give it a test drive and if all goes well give him a low ball offer and see where that gets you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since this worked for the OP, I was wondering if I could get similar help. I've been looking to get a dakota since I don't want a full size truck, yet my wife wants a 6 seater. I've been looking at dakotas for a while and I've wanted a newer one since the new 4.7 has a more powerful engine, but it's out of my range. Anyway, to make a long story short, is this worth the price? Thanks in advance for all help.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3632456356.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since this worked for the OP, I was wondering if I could get similar help. I've been looking to get a dakota since I don't want a full size truck, yet my wife wants a 6 seater. I've been looking at dakotas for a while and I've wanted a newer one since the new 4.7 has a more powerful engine, but it's out of my range. Anyway, to make a long story short, is this worth the price? Thanks in advance for all help.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3632456356.html

It's not a terrible deal, imho. The mileage is relatively low (100k isn't what it used to be.) I guess I'd go see the owner with cash in hand and see what he'd take (but he's willing to pay for a year's tag and a smog and in CA that's probably worth something.)

About Dakota Crew Cabs, they are 6 seaters in name only. I have a club cab, and it would be a tight squeeze for three across in the front seat (good for someone with a 12 inch across butt!) & the back seat ain't no wider. Club cab rear seat is good for emergencies and small kids.:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
yea 4 adults about it. you could squeeze in 5. I would try 4000 don't know how tags and smog checking works. here the tags only stay with whomever purchased them when you buy a truck you have to buy new tags that way the gov. can get their share in taxes. and no smog regs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts