Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Quad Cab Dakota that I am (trying to) taking the outside door handles off to paint gloss black. I found a couple youtube vids for the front doors and got those off no problem, but I'm not finding anything about the back door of the quad cabs. The door handle seems to be pretty much the same as far as I can tell, but because the layout of the access holes in the door are different, I'm completely stumped on how to remove the second nut, the one towards the back of the truck. I got the nut towards the front of the truck off relatively easy.

Here is a sort of overall pic of the door. Obviously I already got the door panel off, although I did partially break the inner door handle in the process.

Between the positioning of the access hole and the metal support frame, it's super tight in there. Behind the metal to the left is the latch and child lock which isn't helping anything.

Here you can see the nut I already have off

This is about the best view I got. Peeking around the edge of the handle assembly you can see the end of the stud on which the nut is threaded. I can't actually see it because of how cramped it is, but I'm assuming it's no different from the other nut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try a 1/4" flex drive extension shaft. Get a good one, as the cheap ones will just twist when you apply torque. Also, drop the latch down and disconnect the actuator rod from the handle. That "might" get you the room you need to access the nut.

·
Registered
635 Posts
According to the FSM, you need to remove the glass run channel to get access. I suspect just the rear channel. Run the glass full up, and I'd tape it over the top of the door so it doesn't move. The drawing in the FSM shows that the small window is part of the rear channel, and there are three screws holding it in (I suspect behind the rubber seal).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts