Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Dakota: My heater and AC works intermittently. Troubleshooting points to a faulty control module. It appears that the dash has to be partially disassembled to get to this part. Has anyone replaced this module? How difficult is the job? Thanks. Les :confused:

·
Registered
525 Posts
The HVAC control module is not difficult to remove, once two of the covers (bezels) from the dash have been removed. Disconnect the negative battery cable. You need to remove the cover below the steering column, by disconnecting the rod from the parking brake release lever, removing three screws, then 'popping' it out of a couple of retainer clips using a trim tool. Once that is removed, if you have an automatic transmission, put the selector lever in 'Lo', and if you have an adjustable steering wheel, put it to the full down position. Remove two screws above the instrument cluster, then using a trim tool 'pop' the cover out from a number of retainer clips around the edge. Disconnect the connectors from the headlight switch, and from any switches in the cover on the right side of the steering wheel (passenger airbag switch, etc). Once that cover is removed, you should see the four screws holding the HVAC control in place. There are four electrical connectors plugged into the back of the control.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HVAC module replacement

Thanks oldmarine. That sounds like something I can do. thanks again. Les (a "very old" soldier")

·
Registered
2 Posts
The HVAC control module is not difficult to remove, once two of the covers (bezels) from the dash have been removed. Disconnect the negative battery cable. You need to remove the cover below the steering column, by disconnecting the rod from the parking brake release lever, removing three screws, then 'popping' it out of a couple of retainer clips using a trim tool. Once that is removed, if you have an automatic transmission, put the selector lever in 'Lo', and if you have an adjustable steering wheel, put it to the full down position. Remove two screws above the instrument cluster, then using a trim tool 'pop' the cover out from a number of retainer clips around the edge. Disconnect the connectors from the headlight switch, and from any switches in the cover on the right side of the steering wheel (passenger airbag switch, etc). Once that cover is removed, you should see the four screws holding the HVAC control in place. There are four electrical connectors plugged into the back of the control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I swapped out the HVAC control panel trying to fix the fan which only works in the high speed position. It didn't help! Since there are no fuses, and I have no electrical schematic to guide me, I am assuming it is a fan motor problem. Has any one else had issues like this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts