Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 dakota 4.7 4wd it had a slight knock and low oil pressure. It spun the #3 rod bearing so I did a full rebuild. New crank, #3 rod, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, timing set, gaskets, valve stem seals. Got the whole thing together and dropped it in and hooked it up. Fired it up it ran for about a minute then I heard a noise then it shut off.
I forgot to tighten the left cam sprocket. It spun off bent all 4 intake valves on the left head and left marked on my #1,3,5,7 pistons. I have never made this mistake in all the engines I built so my question is are the pistons ok or do I need to get new ones. The valves only bent, the engine ran for max 1.5 minutes, and max 2000 rpm.
20200517_070603.jpg

The mark is the same on all four pistons. I want to know if I could just replace the heads $1000 or do i have to do a long block $3000.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 03 dakota 4.7 4wd it had a slight knock and low oil pressure. It spun the #3 rod bearing so I did a full rebuild. New crank, #3 rod, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, timing set, gaskets, valve stem seals. Got the whole thing together and dropped it in and hooked it up. Fired it up it ran for about a minute then I heard a noise then it shut off.
I forgot to tighten the left cam sprocket. It spun off bent all 4 intake valves on the left head and left marked on my #1,3,5,7 pistons. I have never made this mistake in all the engines I built so my question is are the pistons ok or do I need to get new ones. The valves only bent, the engine ran for max 1.5 minutes, and max 2000 rpm.
View attachment 2434

The mark is the same on all four pistons. I want to know if I could just replace the heads $1000 or do i have to do a long block $3000.
Since your rebuild is fresh I would replace the damaged pistons and have heads repaired valves and seats as needed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts