Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 93 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2 ltr. I will just explain how the problem started and hopefully someone can help. It was really hard to start in the morning after sitting all night. I would spin it over for a few minutes while pumping the gas frantically and it would eventually fire up and run a little rough at the beginning then be fine for the rest of the day. One day I went through this process and I killed the battery. I accidentally left the key on when I went to get a charger and when I came back I could hear this faint clicking noise coming from under the hood. Before I could find out where it was coming from it stopped. I hooked the charger up got in and it started right up. The next day instead of cranking it for awhile I just turned the key to the run position and let it sit for a couple minutes. After about a minute the clicking started really faint and then got gradually louder. I popped the hood and found out it was coming from the relay box. I pulled the relays one at a time and it didn't stop clicking. I started pulling two at a time and when I pulled the auto shut off relay and the a/c relay it stopped but I could still hear a faint clicking coming from somewhere on the engine. I have replaced the relays. I replaced the main computer and the fuel pump. I'm just not really sure what else could be causing this. It seems to take longer for the clicking to start when its colder out. It also seems to be getting worse. Today it wouldn't even start the clicking process. I checked the codes it gives me1-2 wich is the battery has been disconnected within 50 starts and 2-2 which is the temperature sensor isn't reading right. I don't think either of these would be causing this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? One more thing I pushed the fuel pressure test valve and it released just a little pressure. I know the fuel pump is fine cause it runs great when it starts. What controls the relays to turn on when there isn't any pressure? I'm almost positive it is a fuel pressure problem.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
wow, that's a doosie for sure, havent heard of anything like that so im not much help. but we have a Dodge tech here that im sure can help you out. his name is RamTech on here, so maybe shoot him a PM to let him know about this post and see what he has to offer

·
Registered
250 Posts
A bad coolant temp sensor could cause the PCM to think the engine is cold when it's not and in turn it will inject too much fuel into the cylinders, causing hard starting and rough running. As for the relays you hear, it's difficult to say what's going on but without laying hands on it, diagnosing it will be difficult.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Clean your battery terminals and re-tighten them. It will cause all of the issues you describe. Although it may not be the issue, it is worth looking at.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Clean your battery terminals and re-tighten them. It will cause all of the issues you describe. Although it may not be the issue, it is worth looking at.
I'd also check the opposite ends of the cables. A poor ground on the block/body ground can also give you a fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts