Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an idaho dakota owner looking to do a 6bt swap in my 98 dakota sport 5.2l 318 wondering what all is required to be replaced to handle the torque and HP increas I don't want to run the risk of twisting the frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
your tranny will not take it do you have a manual or automatic and are you planning on keeping or changing f you have a manual are keeping it id go with a NV4500 its a very tough tranny and keeps well you'll probably have to go to a straight axle in the front end and your grille is maybe have something to bring it out farther.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What is a 6bt?
A Cummins turbo diesel inline 6 cylinder…..The same engines used in the full size Dodge Ram and several larger commercial trucks

Ed

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am an idaho dakota owner looking to do a 6bt swap in my 98 dakota sport 5.2l 318 wondering what all is required to be replaced to handle the torque and HP increas I don't want to run the risk of twisting the frame.
This is an old post, but since no one gave you an answer at the time, heres whats involved. You'll need the engine, and a transmission. All Cummins engines use a V10/Cummins specific transmission with a unique bell housing bolt pattern, no other Dodge transmission will bolt on.

If the truck is a 4x4, your factory suspension and drivetrain will not handle the greater weight or the torque these engines can produce. A Cummins swap will require a solid axle swap as well, using axles out of a one ton. If the truck is a 2wd, you'll need to beef up the front suspension and probably replace the light rear axle for a larger/stronger rear axle.

The frame is plenty strong and will not bend.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts