Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im looking to install a Tacho in my 91 3.9l Dakota. It is an Automation truck so there is no factory tacho. I want this gauge so I can keep an eye on the rpms at different times of use. I know that I need to hook the Tacho wire up to the negative side of the coil to get the rpm readings but I do not know where an ignition switched 12v circuit is that I can tap into right off.. If anyone has a 87-91 TBI and know where an ignition switched 12v circuit is I'd be grateful to know what you know! FYI: I havent invested any time in looking myself yet for the 12v circuit. I just started looking for gauges tonight. Im sure I can eventually find what I need with some looking. This route may be faster! Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Since you're running wire to the negative side of the coil, why not take the 12v ignition from the positive side of the coil? You can use a paired (like lamp cord) wire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea there! I went ahead and piggy backed into the fused radio circuit in the fuse panel under the dash. Easy enough. Tied into the dimmer switch for my back light. It looks decent and works. I put the tachometer in the top left air vent hole. Took the vent loovers(sp) out and popped the gauge right in. Minor dremel tweek to get it in there. I like it. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts