Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - glad to finally find the Dakota experts. I love my 2000 Dakota Sport.
Recently as it began to get darker earlier, when I turned up the brightness on the instrument panel, my dome light would come on. The dome light does not come on when the doors are opened. It's been 2 years since having the CPM replaced and all has been fine up to now. Also during that 2 years, I installed a CD player from a Durango. The previous unit was a cassette that had a ground wire. The CD unit does not, so the ground wire is hanging behind the cd player. Last month the display went out on the CD player. None of this is life threatening, just inconvenient. I've checked all fuses. I don't have alarm, electric mirrors, locks or windows, nothing fancy, just the basic Sport extended cab. Now I am reading about the CTM. Any ideas?
Thanks for any info and direction.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rick, sounds normal on the dimmer as you crank up the dash brightness at the end the dome will come on. could be the switches in the door causing the dome light to not come on when the door is opened. The ground for the radio really needs to be hooked up, may be time for an aftermarket unit though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Jamessicx. The dome light comes on at the very bottom of the dial rotation, when the dimmer just starts to dial up. I was looking for the door switch/plunger type but don't see them on the truck. I guess Dodge trucks don't have that type of switch? Maybe I should unplug the harness and clean the connections? Any experience with the CTM? I have read elsewhere there are fuses inside the CTM? I just don't HAVE to do all this but I'd LIKE to.
As for the ground on the radio, there is no place that the previous wire can plug into. Maybe I should snip off the slide-on type connector that is hanging behind the radio and attach it to the back of the radio on a screw somewhere.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Jamessicx. The dome light comes on at the very bottom of the dial rotation, when the dimmer just starts to dial up. I was looking for the door switch/plunger type but don't see them on the truck.
There has to be a door jamb switch on the left (driver's side door at least).
That goes to the CTM and senses when the door is open.

Maybe I should unplug the harness and clean the connections? Any experience with the CTM? I have read elsewhere there are fuses inside the CTM? I just don't HAVE to do all this but I'd LIKE to.
There are NO fuses inside the CTM. The fusing for the radio and other
interior components are in the JUNCTION BLOCK (the fuse access panel)
at the side of the driver's side dash.

As for the ground on the radio, there is no place that the previous wire can plug into. Maybe I should snip off the slide-on type connector that is hanging behind the radio and attach it to the back of the radio on a screw somewhere.
The OEM radio does need a ground wire for the radio and lighting to work,
but that ground wire is separate from the connector wiring that has the
power signals.
According to my 98 Dakota Haynes manual, the radio has several power
inputs on it's connector.

There is something called a "park lamp relay" fed by a 14amp fuse in the
junction block and output of the headlamp switch dimmer goes through
another 5amp fuse (junction block) to the radio lights and elsewhere
(dome light/instrument lights) that would be on the dimmer switch .

A separate 15amp fuse at the junction block feeds the fused input of the
radio/stereo.

Finally there is a 10 amp fuse (junction block) that feeds the radio/stereo
from the IGNITION SWITCH (RUN/ACC).

So the wiring and fusing can be a bit tricky to troubleshoot.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts