Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've got a 95 Dakota with exhaust gasses in the radiator. Looking at replacing the head gasket. The truck has almost 200k on it wasn't always in the best of care as well as being rolled. The gasket set is only about 50 bucks but the main question is will it be worth it to pull the head and replace gasket or will something else fail soon due to damage caused by head gasket failure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to have the head checked for cracks also just in case it was overheated in the past.
so the temp gauge doesn't work hasn't for as long as I can member. And the reason we noticed something was wrong was steam from under the hood now it could just be from over pressurization of the cooling system due to gasket failure or the aforementioned overheating...just not sure

·
Registered
294 Posts
how much can you do yourself? If most of it then yeah probably worth it... if none of it then no it won't be worth it... I would however take the heads in to a machine shop when you get them off, and at a minimum have them hot tank them, check for warp or cracks and replace the valve guide seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts