Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first get in my 2005 dodge dakota starts fine, once get where I am going and turn off engine. Try to start motor may not even turn over or try to start. After a while 1 to 10 minutes it will start. Being doing this for years. Dodge dealership could not find problem put on new starter. No help. Mechanic shops have put on sensor and again put on starter. No help. May go days or month before doing this no start problem. Now starting to die when I slow to turn or stop lights too. Has any one else had this problem?

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
Mechanic shops have put on sensor and again put on starter. No help.

Okay, so I guess this is a 4.7 because that's the section you posted in, right?
What sensor did the mechanic change?
I once had a car that the solenoid would fail on a regular basis & I would change the starter & all would be good, but then, given time, it would begin to fail again. When that happened, I'd just hit the key to 'start' over & over & over again until it would go. Not saying that this is your problem.
What I think I might do if I were you, is run it in your drive way for a while, shut it down & if it doesn't restart, then hook a jumper up to the B+ terminal on the starter & then touch the other end of the jumper to the + terminal of your battery.

If you do this, be careful. Make sure your Dak is in park or neutral, & it would probably be a good idea to unhook the negative terminal from the battery before you get under there & start hooking up a jumper.

If you jump your starter in that fashion, if you do have a good starter motor & solenoid, it ought to turn the engine over. If it just clicks or nothing happens, I'd think that your starter motor or solenoid are defective.

I am looking at a schematic for a 2001 to ,2004 4.7 Dakota Starting System. I suspect that there may be some changes in the '05s. But what I note in the '01 to '04 is that there are significant differences beween the 4.7 & the 3.9/5.2/5.9s, but they are both tied in to the PCM, & the schematic is showing the PCM tied to transmission switches & solenoids & modules as part of the starting system (& which switches & solenoids & modules are dependent upon whether is is 2wd, 4wd, AT or MT). But, once again, this is a schematic for '01 to '04.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
. . . and thinking about the last paragraph I typed, next time it won't turn the starter over for you, wiggle the shift lever & try it, & if that doesn't work, put it in neutral & then try it. Who knows, looking at the schematic, the 4.7 (from 01 to 04) does not have a transmission range sensor, but it does have a "Clutch Interlock Switch Jumper", & I don't know, but that may serve the same function.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
. . . and here is something else you could try.
Next time the starter won't engage for you, open up the underhood electrical box & swap the Starter Relay with a relay that is identical. On mine, for example, the Starter Relay is right next to the Wiper Relay & they are interchangeable. Maybe it's possible that at random times the Starter Relay is sticking & won't close, which would give you a 'no-crank' condition.

I've never had that happen, myself, but I guess it is conceivable & it's free & easy to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. . . and thinking about the last paragraph I typed, next time it won't turn the starter over for you, wiggle the shift lever & try it, & if that doesn't work, put it in neutral & then try it. Who knows, looking at the schematic, the 4.7 (from 01 to 04) does not have a transmission range sensor, but it does have a "Clutch Interlock Switch Jumper", & I don't know, but that may serve the same function.
I have done most of that but trying to start in neutral. Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
I have done most of that but trying to start in neutral. Thanks for the feed back.

So when it was in the 'no-crank' mode, you did run a jumper from the starter to your battery?
What were the results?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts