Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a mint 1998 Dakota SRT with 47,000 mi. w/Curtis plow,and cap. It belonged to a nice old retired neighbor who moved away.

Problem is, it looks like a old person's truck. I want to give it a more rugged look with slightly larger tires and maybe some heavier shocks that can raise it up a bit.

Can the stock 15" rims take bigger tires without compromising safety ? P235/75 R15s are on it now.

I don't want to take on expensive mods but the poor thing needs a face lift.

Thanks !

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board! I can't answer your tire question but post up some pics! We would love to see it and maybe give you some mod tips ;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

i think you may have meant a Dakota SXT?

what size tire are you thinking of putting on it? you will have to make sure it clears the wheel well and stuff behind it

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
welcome! to answer your question, yes, you can put larger tires on the stock rims, depending on the width, you will get a taller ride and different wear, so the only thing i believe that you would have to worry about is if the tires hit the sides of the wheel well.
my father just got new wheels and tires for his '06 dodge ram, and he did a bit of research, and he learned that you can put larger tires on the stock rims, they will just wear differently, he wanted to buy taller and wider tires for his truck, and he found that you can put 285 wheels on 265 rims, and the height of the tire doesn't matter unless it hits the wheel well.
hope this helped you! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts