Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I see a K&N CAI on a Dakota, I notice that they don't have the engine cover on it too.

Does the engine cover NEED to be removed in order to attach the K&N CAI? If so that sucks. On my avenger it doesn't affect the engine cover at all

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm guessing that you mean the stock airbox? I don't know of any 'Engine Cover' otherwise. But yes, the stock airbox needs to be removed, and the K&N should have a box around it, but no top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking maybe he meant the air hat/silencer or whatever it is actually called that sits on top of the intake manifold with the 90 degree bend in the intake system, either or I'm pretty sure most kits remove both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I probably just looked at it wrong. Its not an engine cover it's part of the air intake I guess

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is the air intake resonator. I think K&N only has the filter and tube package for sale, meaning you need to remove the resonator and stock tubing. Airaid has a CAI which allows you to leave the resonator and stock tubing in place.

Here is a link for the Airaid filters, check prices at other sites if you do decide to purchase.

Here is the Airaid 300-175 on my truck, first pic with the stock tubing and resonator in place (you can see the beginning of the stock tubing), second pic with the full kit installed.

I tried a few different intake setups, and decided to keep the Airaid Modular Intake Tube, (which replaces the stock tubing and air intake resonator), and pair it with the stock airbox with a drop in K&N filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like your setup with the stock air box and the drop-in filter. Did you make any mods to the tube from the stock air box to the fender??? That looks to be a bit of a "pinch point" in the intake tubing.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dakotaff,

Thanks for those pictures. Same question as Atch, plus another one.

Looking at your pictures, I see three options for changing the CAI.

Option 1: Full upgrade kit with the removal of the stock filter box, tube, and resonator box. (sub-options are brand choice: upgrade with either K&N or Airaid kit)

Option 2: Partial upgrade kit: install CAI filter kit but keep the stock tube and resonator box. (again there is the choice of brand for the round filter and open shield)

Option 3: Partial upgrade kit: remove the stock tube and resonator and replace them with the CAI tube directly from the filter box to the throttle body. Keep the stock filter box and replace the filter with either a Caraid or K&N filter (essentially what you settled on).

Question: why did you go with Option 3 rather than one of the other options?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dakotaff,

Thanks for those pictures. Same question as Atch, plus another one.

Looking at your pictures, I see three options for changing the CAI.

Option 1: Full upgrade kit with the removal of the stock filter box, tube, and resonator box. (sub-options are brand choice: upgrade with either K&N or Airaid kit)

Option 2: Partial upgrade kit: install CAI filter kit but keep the stock tube and resonator box. (again there is the choice of brand for the round filter and open shield)

Option 3: Partial upgrade kit: remove the stock tube and resonator and replace them with the CAI tube directly from the filter box to the throttle body. Keep the stock filter box and replace the filter with either a Caraid or K&N filter (essentially what you settled on).

Question: why did you go with Option 3 rather than one of the other options?
I did not like the sound under the hood of the CAI filter, I found it annoying.
It's much more enjoyable to hear to my Borla exhaust when I get on it. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts