Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 94 Dakota with a 3.9l, auto with A/C. Everything is great with the truck, except the small problem of no heat. The blower works fine, the engine takes about 5 minutes or so to reach operating temp. when it's around 32 degrees. Is there a heater control valve for this? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
are the heater hoses still there i know in florida people tend to block the heater hose ports off just so there are fewer hoses

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im experiencing the same problem. I have the 5.2L and my heat is pathetic. Im wondering if my heater core is clogged due to corrosion. My radiator is pretty bad, i'm in process of running a bottle of coolant flush through the system.

maybe we need a new heater core, i think i saw them in the $40 range. I think im going to pull of the heater hoses going to the firewall while i have the system drained and check them. Maybe if we blow some air in one side it should come out the other? Dunno if there's a solenoid valve that shuts the line.

·
Registered
294 Posts
wow old thread. Any headway? did you ever get heat? I bought a 94 back in Sept.
Right after purchase the tranny died. My timing chain was slapping anyway (I know that has nothing to do with heat output in winter, hold on)
While I was waiting for the parts I needed to reassemble my transmission, I replaced the timing chain, tuned it up, replaced the T stat and hoses, and the radiator. I put the old original waterpump back on because the wife was bitching about $$ I was spending. That original waterpump blew on me a month later so new waterpump time.

now winter's here. this truck has barely lukewarm heat. and thats coming from a "
warm blooded" guy that almost never wears a coat no matter how cold it gets.

I go back to school in 2 days. thats an 80 mile a day round trip. not fun with a heater not warm enough to defrost the windshield. that says alot for a cab as small of a cab as a Dakota (especially as compared to the cabin size in my Cherokee or Wrangler) today's 42*F. so I had to fix it today no matter what. (wife and kid drive the Jeeps)

so I unhooked the heater hoses and hooked the garden hose to the bottom of my hot water heater, yeah I ran teh hose out the front door.....
I added a foot long piece of heater hose to one nipple of the core and flushed it w/ the garden hose and sprayhead. it took me a couple minutes to get straight clear water out the other nipple. I reversed flow and I was surprised to get more murky antifreeze out, being it was finally clear the other way... eventually it was clear both ways but flow was better one way than the other. I got out my air hose w/a rubber tipped blowgun; and gave the core a couple quick bursts of air. Along with the water I had flushed into the core I got out some (solid) chunks of who knows what, out of the core! so I alternated water and then air back and forth both ways thru the heater core. after a couple rounds of this it took less time for the core to fill up and start flowing. and flow was restored the same volume both ways!
I blew the water out and reconnected the heater hoses and started the truck, letting it idle; before the heat gauge came off of "C", I now had HEAT!
Before sitting in traffic (as in at a stoplight) the ar cmg ut the vents would be downright cold; but as soon as I would accelerate, i would get "lukewarm" heat.

I mentioned a Cherokee; when I bought that 2 years ago, I likewise had little to no heat. I took it by a friend that owns a radiator shop who did exactly the same thing to it, as I did in the driveway in my Dakota. Yeah, the heat came back in the Cherokee, like it did today in the Dakota; the biggest difference? Flushing the heater core in the Dakota in my own driveway,the same way he did, DIDN'T cost me $40, like having him flush the Cherokee heater out did, then. but I don't remember having a 40*day to do it myself (outside even) like I had today, to work on the Dakota.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts