Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 Dakota is lacking interior heat. New coolant and just had new hughes plenum repair kit installed. Changed out temp sensor as well as a new thermostat. All the hoses are nice and hot but lack of heat? Any ideas? Pics of what I should be looking for? Thanks

Dean.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If both heater hoses are hot where they go through the firewall, then hot coolant is getting to the heater core. No heat inside means the blend door is not working - it mixes air coming through the ac evaporator (even if the ac is not on) with air coming through the heater core. I'm not sure if the actuators were electrical or vacuum in 94; if vacuum, check for a disconnected vacuum hose that goes through the firewall. Check and see if the mode door is working - it selects whether air goes to floor, dash vents, defroster, etc. If that's not working either, you probably have a broken/disconnected vacuum line.
If electrical, you'll have to troubleshoot from the control panel to the actuators.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I disagree. It's your heater core. A known problem for many years. Search heater core on this site and see the results. They get calcium build up inside. Hot water passes right through (slowly) but does not disperse heat. To change, you have to remove the entire dash. See my story on that same search. You will see I tried several flushes, until the connection collapsed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
try a flush 1st. I have solved many "no heat" problems by doing so. I unhook both hoses, slip on a length of heater hose to divert flow to ground instead of in my face, and use a straight twist style nozzle on the garden hose, alternating flow both directions. I "had" this done on a Cherokee ONCE... wasn't happy about having the guy charge me $40 just for that. won't pay someone for that again.
also make sure your heater hoses aren't hooked up backwards.

if that fails, then look into replacing the core---- so far it cost you $0 to try

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just had to change my heater core on the 92 yesterday, it was starting to leak, I could smell antifreeze as I have been driving lately , and occasionally a little bit of fog on the windshield. Mine was just seeping so far, caught it before it blew completely. It only lasted 26 years and 215k miles.
When I pulled the top of the heater box off I noticed that the evaporator was plugged solid from one edge out about 3-1/2" top to bottom. I used some coil cleaner on the fins after I got the heaviest crap of it
I pulled the evaporator out and set it on the ground, and applied the cleaner, let it work while I took a break to go mow the lawn. I came back once while I was mowing and hosed it out, put a 2nd application of coil cleaner. Sprayed both sides. After I finished the yard I hosed it out again and put it all back together. I don't care about the AC on this truck or I would have replaced it while it was apart. Just because. Once it was all back together I couldn't believe how much more air flow the blower motor has now (and it's the original from 1992)
I have to pull the 96 apart, that one has A bad evaporator, will be doing the heater core as well while it's apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts