Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a Comprehensive List of Bulb Types and Numbers for the 3rd Generation Dakotas (2005-2011)?

I've become a Big Fan of the New LED Replacements for Filament Bulbs.

However, Amazon, Ebay, and Online Parts Houses use of "My Garage" Verification of Fit... Frequently return "Does Not Fit" for Parts Specifically Listed for My Vehicle!

Direct Inquiries to Manufacturers can be slow, and some responses can be Vague!

I haven't pulled the Interior Overhead Lamp Covers for my new 2008 yet, but Listings suggest a 194 Type T10 Bulb.
My 2001 used "Torpedo" type Bulbs for Overhead Interior Lamps.

UPDATE... Old-Timer's Strikes Again!

I found the Bulb Type Listing on Page 373 of My Owner's Manual!

I have to admit, it was Easier to find Replacement Bulbs for my '53 Chevy Pickup... Back in the mid 60's!
EVERYTHING was easier to work on back then!
Thr Local Machine Shop charged $25 to Grind the Valves and Seats for the
6 cyl. Head I took off, and put back on! (1967)

·
Registered
697 Posts
This is what's listed in the 2008 Dakota Owners Manual:

Lights
REPLACEMENT LIGHT BULBS
LIGHT BULBS — Interior............................Bulb No.
Dome Light ................................................WL212–2
Cargo Light ...............................................921
Overhead Console Lights. .............................192
Reading Light...............................................WL212–2

LIGHT BULBS — Outside ..............................Bulb No.
Headlight ......................................................H13
Front Park/Turn/Sidemarker........................3157NA
Back-Up ........................................................3157
Center High Mounted Stoplight ......................921
Fog Lamp.......................................................9145
Rear Sidemarker ........................................... 168 (From 2006 Manual)
License Plate Light .........................................168
Rear Tail, Stop, Turn Signal............................3057

I got all my LED lights from SuperbrightLEDs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is what's listed in the 2008 Dakota Owners Manual:

Lights
REPLACEMENT LIGHT BULBS
LIGHT BULBS — Interior............................Bulb No.
Dome Light ................................................WL212–2
Cargo Light ...............................................921
Overhead Console Lights. .............................192
Reading Light...............................................WL212–2

LIGHT BULBS — Outside ..............................Bulb No.
Headlight ......................................................H13
Front Park/Turn/Sidemarker........................3157NA
Back-Up ........................................................3157
Center High Mounted Stoplight ......................921
Fog Lamp.......................................................9145
Rear Sidemarker ........................................... 168 (From 2006 Manual)
License Plate Light .........................................168
Rear Tail, Stop, Turn Signal............................3057

I got all my LED lights from SuperbrightLEDs.

Did you have to install any resistors with your LED replacements? Or, were those already built into the bulb assemblies?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to install any resistors with your LED replacements? Or, were those already built into the bulb assemblies?
I haven't replaced any yet... Backup Lamp LED's will be here tomorrow, and Interior Lamp LED's are "In the Mail".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Ice-Blue-SMD-LED-Interior-Light-Package-Kit-For-2005-2011-Dodge-Dakota/162790710899

From my reading, only LED's used for Turn Signals need Special Consideration... Due to Current Load utilized to activate Flasher Relays.

Two options are:

1) Add a Resistor Load on the Turn Signal Lead, where an LED Bulb is installed.... OR buy LED's with Built-In Resistors.

2) Replace the Factory Flasher Relay with a Solid State Flasher.
ALL Turn Signal Bulbs must be LED IF the Solid State Flasher has a Low Wattage Rating (Ex. 28W)

I'm not very anxious to add Resistors... They can be a source of Heat in enclosed areas... And the Wire Taps used can lead to Corrosion Damage to Factory Wiring... Especially in regions where Chemical Deicers are used, and Coastal Salt Air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After BU LED Install

I got the new Backup Lamp LED's installed.

I'm quite happy with the improvement.

Advertised 3 times increase in brightness, and now a brilliant "Xenon" White Light.

Here are the bulbs I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPF5SMF

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have full LED taillights, and yes, there is a resistor installed for the turn signals. I did not change out the front turn signals, but the resistors would also be necessary up front. I did install all LEDs all through the interior, and also put in a full LED 3rd brake light, and added LED Cargo light bulbs. Some members used cheap LEDs (EBay) on the interior and have a constant low glow from the bulbs, which is not an issue with better quality LEDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
<snip> Some members used cheap LEDs (EBay) on the interior and have a constant low glow from the bulbs, which is not an issue with better quality LEDs.
Yes, I ordered cheap LED's on eBay, from China!
I don't have high expectations for $10.79... but I thought it would OK, just to see if I would like the "Ice Blue" Interior with the "Indigo Glow" Instrument Lights?

I had Interior LED's in my 2001 Dakota... bought on Amazon, based on High Reviews.
Those LED's had that constant low glow.

Question... Without Buy-and-Try, How do you locate "Better Quality LED's"?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have full LED taillights, and yes, there is a resistor installed for the turn signals. I did not change out the front turn signals, but the resistors would also be necessary up front. I did install all LEDs all through the interior, and also put in a full LED 3rd brake light, and added LED Cargo light bulbs. Some members used cheap LEDs (EBay) on the interior and have a constant low glow from the bulbs, which is not an issue with better quality LEDs.

These look really good. But, these are full assemblies, not just replacement bulbs, correct?

Did you get the "regular" LEDs from superbright, or CAN version for the interior bulbs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I ordered cheap LED's on eBay, from China!
I don't have high expectations for $10.79... but I thought it would OK, just to see if I would like the "Ice Blue" Interior with the "Indigo Glow" Instrument Lights?

Question... Without Buy-and-Try, How do you locate "Better Quality LED's"?

Be interesting to know how this works out for you. I've thought about getting foot well lighting. But, I would want the color to match the blue light over the center console. Not sure if that could be done given it's something of a blue-green. So, if you've found a match, that would be cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the new Backup Lamp LED's installed.

I'm quite happy with the improvement.

Advertised 3 times increase in brightness, and now a brilliant "Xenon" White Light.

Here are the bulbs I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPF5SMF

Those are definitely brighter. Great for backing up or hitching a trailer...might be a bit much for a parking lot if you're backing out of a spot and someone is waiting behind you.

Guess there is no perfect solution. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
These look really good. But, these are full assemblies, not just replacement bulbs, correct?

Did you get the "regular" LEDs from superbright, or CAN version for the interior bulbs?
Yeah, they are full tail light assemblies, and they don't seem to be available anymore.

I don't remember a CAN version being available back when i bought mine, but if I were buying now, I would probably buy the CAN version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think these "head light bulbs" should be banned. They blind oncoming drivers.
Head Light Bulbs With more Lumens, Or as in my day... Candlepower, than OEM Head Light Bulbs, along with more brilliant White Spectrum, do tend to be Blinding... especially when not dimmed!

However, they also provide greater Braking Distance for unexpected Road Hazards at nighttime, for the Driver!

Two factors come in to play...
1) Headlight Adjustment... Low Beam should be below oncoming windshields... and I've also seen manuals that show Headlights adjusted to the right of the Center-line, so there is no direct light shining in the oncoming lane.
2) Drivers dimming their Headlights within a reasonable distance.
Personally, I try to dim as soon as I can see two distinct headlights coming toward me.

Here in Central Oregon, we have Mule Deer, Rocky Mountain Elk, and some roads with Open Range Cattle. If they aren't looking your way with their reflective eyes, they can be hard to see... especially with oncoming Headlights!
One thing I hate, is when an oncoming Driver thinks your Lights are too bright, even on low beam... as happens to me if I have a heavy load in the bed... and they put their High beam on when they get close!
Nothing is gained by two blind drivers coming at each other!

On a different note...
My 2001 Dakota had conventional Headlights, with the same "Cone of Light" horizontal and Vertical
My "New" 2008 Dakota has a noticeable cut-off above center.
My 600' Gravel Driveway has "Whoops", so the horizontal line of light separation is quite obvious.

I'm very satisfied with the 2008 OEM Headlights, so I don't plan to replace them with LED's.
I do plan on replacing my Fog Lamps with LED's... and maybe add Yellow?

Driving the 2008 home from the Dealer last Month, I had White-Out Snow, coming over the Cascade Mountains.
I couldn't get the Fog Lights to come on in the dark... Found out the next day a 2008 uses a Push on the Light Switch, where my 2001 used a Pull on the light switch!

Full-time 4WD worked Great!... My 2001 had Part-time 2WD-4WD.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@dakotaff...thanks. Wish I could find those assemblies at a reasonable price. I found them awhile back but for several hundred dollars. My halogens still work well enough that I can't justify that price.

Brights should be blinding to oncoming drivers. My dislike are those folks that get the "upgraded" bulbs that create a blinding, unaimed "low" beam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts