Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have water leaking into my passenger side comming from the air conditioner. I know this is a common problem for my year model. 2003 Dodge Dakota extended cab. What is the best fix for this problem? I have been told there is a fix kit from Dodge. Is this the way to go or would it be better to do DIY fix. Any help will be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get the issue fixed? I am currently having the same problem. Not sure if it is from my AC what what, but my passenger side floorboard has quite a puddle of water going.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
first off, welcome to both of you

after a google search i found this, but cant verify it if really was a Technical Service Bulletin or not

A/C - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Front Floor
NUMBER: 23-010-04 REV. A
MODELS:

2001-2004 (AN) Dakota
**2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica**
2001 - 2003 (DN) Durango
**2002 - 2005 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)**
2001 - 2004 (RS) Caravan, Voyager, Town & Country

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Water may enter the passenger compartment between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead. A foam seal is used to seal the heater housing to the bulkhead. Condensation from the A/C evaporator can run along the evaporator drain tube and enter the passenger compartment if the seal between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead is not sealed properly. This will result in wet passenger compartment carpet when the air conditioning is operating.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Locate the evaporator hose and drain tube opening in bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment. Apply a bead of RTV sealer, p/n 04467708 or equivalent, to the perimeter of the opening to seal the joint between the bulkhead and the HVAC gasket and the joint between the drain tube and the HVAC gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have an issue with water on the rear floor behind the passenger seat. i have an 04 Dakota quad cab 4x4. the front floor is dry and i'm not sure where the water is coming from to drain into the rear. Has anyone come across the same problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue...ac drain leaking/wicking back into passenger floorboard.

I thought I dealt with this before, but it has popped up again. The first time, I located the ac drain, behind a heat shield- lower left firewall, cleared the drain, confirmed it was draining properly then moved on to the cowling beneath the windshield wipers, making sure the weld seams were covered in enough silicone to drown a whale as well as checking the passenger door sealing.
No leak for about a week, then comes the h20 again. The leak this time is coming from inside the cab, where the ac box enters the firewall/ where the drain plug exits. HOW in the world am I to get to this ? Removing the dash seems imminent, but I am hoping there will be an easier fix to keep the water from wicking/leaking back into the cab. ANY help/advice appreciated......................

·
Registered
1 Posts
How I fixed AC condensation leak in the passenger floorboard

I went on a road trip a couple years ago in my dakota and realized my passenger floorboard was soaking wet. Did a google search and narrowed it down to the windshield cowling leak or a blocked AC drain behind the engine. I knew it wasn't the cowling so I tried to drill into the black box (forgot what it's called) beneath the glove box from where the leak was dripping. I drilled into it above the water line (I could hear it splashing around) and poked a wire hanger into the drain hole in the firewall to make sure it wasn't blocked, but that didn't solve the problem. I knew I wasn't going to go to a mechanic and pay them to pull the engine for something so small as some other folks had suggested online.
Solution: I drilled a hole in the lowest part of the box, used waterproof sealant to attach a vacuum elbow (it was more rigid than simply gluing hose directly to the box). Then, I attached about 2 feet of rubber tubing to the elbow and ran it under the carpet and over to the door frame. There is a rubber fitting near the door in the floorboard, so I drilled out the bottom of it and fed the hose into it. I haven't had anymore problems, and all that cost about $5-8 dollars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same problem with our 05 Chrysler Sebring less than a year old. It only leaked enough to be noticable on highway trips. Lots of water on the passenger side between the front and rear seats. Dealer replaced or added a seal in the firewall. I'm not sure if it was condensation on the refrigerant lines in the engine compartment getting through the firewall or if it was the condensate drain, but they had to pull the heater - A/C unit from under the dash. They also had to replace the carpet and padding due to moldy smell. Glad it was still under warranty and didn't cost us anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a leak on the passenger side right after the warranty expired! Wouldn't you know it!? I pulkled the rug and removed all the interior trim in the front compartment, put water from a hose on the outside firewall going from bottom to top. My Bride was inside watching and at one point saw water flowing in. I dried the area and loaded it with silicone. Thought everything was okay until taking a three hour drive this weekend and smelling that musty odor, again.
First came to this website and found this thread, checked the replies, assistance, etc., and went out but cannot locate the drain from the a/c.
I have been under the vehicle and checked the passenger side of the engine compartment but have not located a drain coming through the bulkhead (firewall). Is it possible it is routed elsewhere or I am looking in the wrong place? Where is the drain generally located? On the passenger side of the engine compartment? If so where, lower or upper. I've been under the vehicle and still cannot find it.
In fainrness, my Bride always tells me I can never find anything especially when looking right at it so a little specificity will be appreciated. Also, ideas on how to do the repair if different than ones already expressed. Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts