Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Dakota sport and I’ve been looking into a rough country 50” light bar to mount on the front of the roof. I was wondering how people have installed them or if anyone has any other suggestions of what light bar to get.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Most of the ones I see, are mounted to the roof by brackets that come with the light. Usually screwed directly to either the roof or door jamb area.

Although they may look kinda cool, I'm not a huge fan of LED light bars mounted over the windshield. The best lights to mount on the roof are pencil beams. These will throw a very narrow beam of light a long distance, and work best as high on the truck as possible. The current crop of LED light bars tend to work more like flood lights which produce a broad beam and light up everything closer. These should be mounted lower on the truck. On the roof, the broad beam throws so much light over a wider area that they illuminate the hood more than the road ahead and cause a shadow near the truck. This creates high contrast between the dark road ahead and the lit up hood, making your forward vision worse. The light bar would work much better on the front end where the hood doesn't get lit up, the broad light spread isn't blocked by the hood, and shadows aren't cast.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts