Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, can someone please help me figure out if I have a trac-lock rear diff or not? I've looked all over for a sticker letting me know but no luck. Changing my rear diff fluid and need to know if i need limited slip additive. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hello all, can someone please help me figure out if I have a trac-lock rear diff or not? I've looked all over for a sticker letting me know but no luck. Changing my rear diff fluid and need to know if i need limited slip additive. Thanks!!!
There should be a metal tag on top the diff held on by one of the diff cover bolts gives you the gear ratio,
but it won't indicate that it has the limited slip differential. If it's a 9.25 differential, more than likely,
you could assume it has the anti-spin clutch in it.

If you bought the vehicle new, the dealers sales form will list it as "anti spin diff". I have it on my '98.

If you bought it used and can't see that option listed on the dealer's sales form, when you pull off the rear
diff cover to examine the diff, you should be able to see the difference as the LSD clutch plates will be visible
inside the spider gears.

If you are changing the gear oil by pumping it out out of the access hole with
a hand fluid pump, (and not removing the rear cover), then just add some friction modifier anyway.
It wont hurt the diff gears, as it only modifies friction for the clutch plates on the LSD. Keeps them
from chattering.

On the 8.25 diff, it takes 4.4 US pints/2.0 liters. 80w-90 (GL-4)
On the 9.25 diff, it takes 4.8 US pints/2.2 litres
Haynes recommends adding 0.22 US pints of friction modifier on LSD diffs.

I used TDA-62 friction modifier on mine..comes in a small 250ml (0.5 US pint) bottle.
I used half of that 125ml in mine when I had the diff oil changed. No problems with it after 2 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts