Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between the two? when would i use one over the other? what benefits do each have? and is there a mid tube type of header that would be a nice in between?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea longtubes can be a bitch and may need some serious custom fabbing. If your not trying to build a pure drag truck Id suggest just saving a few buck and getting shorties just mho

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jeg's has the kit for $80 that you weld up yourself, you'd still have to buy a set of flanges for the 360, but it would be a "cost effective" way of getting custom long tubes...

I only know because I am looking at them myself :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a great article michael, thanks for that link

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting article, I always preferred long tubes. I have A.R. long tubes on the Chally, and it really wakes her up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i've heard that long tubes provide more low end torque (better for acceleration or towing) which is kind of supported by the pics and test on the stang page posted above and shorty headers are better at higher rpm's (better for racing or drag strips)

is this true?

·
Registered
109 Posts
so i've heard that long tubes provide more low end torque (better for acceleration or towing) which is kind of supported by the pics and test on the stang page posted above and shorty headers are better at higher rpm's (better for racing or drag strips)

is this true?
I could have swore I have heard the opposite :confused:

·
Registered
124 Posts
What about single with a much better Y-pipe than stock, and then a single in dual out muffler?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, single exhaust seems to 'keep' a bit more low end also...
What about single with a much better Y-pipe than stock, and then a single in dual out muffler?
thats what i have now, but i want headers. i wouldnt mind putting those through a y-pipe or even make a true dual would be cool. thinking of the spintech mufflers to the dual out the side :cool:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I was looking at the Spintech system, but it is very pricey. I am leaning toward the JBA ceramic coated shorties. I just want a bolt-on improvement over the manifolds and not looking to do anything radical to the truck performance wise in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I put the gibson shorties on my 4.7 and was kind of disappointed with the power gains over the stock manifolds but that was really the only choice since long tubes wouldn't fit. space is limited on a 4x4. I barely got the shorties in. and the stock manifolds were trashed. I have long tubes on my 68 chevy and they are awesome on high end h.p. gains. I have heard headers make a big difference on the 360's not so much on the 4.7

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I like those. Are they ceramic coated? I'm told that the ceramic coated headers are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont think they are, it says they are just painted

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm leaning toward the JBA's but also looking at the Edelbrock ceramic coated shortys.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cant find those, got a link?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Try clicking here.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts