Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking to get some more power out of my 2001 Dakota 4.7L Quad Cab SLT. I'm thinking about a cold air intake and programmer. Is there anything else I can do to get more power out of it? I'm not looking to take it to the drag strip, i just wanna have more power for when i'm having fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dog,

One of the biggest bangs for the buck is an aftermarket exhaust. Shorty headers are a good start because of their improved scavenging ability compared to cast manifolds. Plus you shave off a few pounds. It may not seem like a lot of weight, but an old racers rule is that every 100 pounds you remove from the vehicle, picks you up about 1/10 of a second.

Next a cat back system should be in order. Factory muffelers are not designed with performance in mind. They are engineered for maximum sound reduction. With the sound reduction also come reduction of exhaust flow. Factory pipes are also on the small side. Remember, I'ts all about savings to the manufactuer, so they're not going to run any bigger of a pipe than they absolutly have to. A good catback system will include a free flowing muffler, and oversized, mandrel bent pipes. Not compression bent ones.

The choices are many so you can start by checking out a speed parts supplier. My favorite is WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM. They have a built in parts search on their home page to help narrow your search. With the exhaust mods I mentioned you should be looking at 15-25 horsepower, and a few more mpg depending on what you choose. These are also realitively cheap when compared to other types of performance mods, so it won't break the bank. AL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts