Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I just got a 2007 Dakota 3.7L a few months ago. The oil pressure light was on constantly, I checked the oil, but that was fine. I did an oil and filter change anyway, and even with the oil level right, the light stays on. I've ordered an oil pressure switch. In the meantime, I just changed the spark plugs, and the oil is very low, in fact not even on the stick. There is no evidence of excessive oil burn on any of the old plugs, no oil leak under the truck on the driveway, no smoking, and no shitty running - she runs like a sewing machine. WTH?
Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, how many miles does this engine have on it? I suggest connecting an oil pressure gauge to test oil pressure and various engine speeds. The valve seals on my 2001 4.7 liter were no good from the start, but it's a second vehicle so I have not replaced them yet. The valve seals and piston rings are two likely places to lose oil, but the outer engine needs to be inspected for leaks. The valve covers and oil pan to are locations to inspect. The valve seals on mine leak so bad I lose a quart every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, how many miles does this engine have on it? I suggest connecting an oil pressure gauge to test oil pressure and various engine speeds. The valve seals on my 2001 4.7 liter were no good from the start, but it's a second vehicle so I have not replaced them yet. The valve seals and piston rings are two likely places to lose oil, but the outer engine needs to be inspected for leaks. The valve covers and oil pan to are locations to inspect. The valve seals on mine leak so bad I lose a quart every 3,000 miles.
Hi Burt. I'd have to look at the odometer again, because I'm old and can't remember. Actually, a friend also suggested that the valve seals might be the culprit. I just topped up oil yesterday, and after driving it for several months, I had to put in almost 3 quarts of oil! Quite honestly, I don't see this engine getting pulled down right now, as it is my only transportation, but I will ty the oil pressure test if I can locate a gauge. I'm gonna do a compression test too, as soon as I can get motivated. Thanks for your input, Burt, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Burt. I'd have to look at the odometer again, because I'm old and can't remember. Actually, a friend also suggested that the valve seals might be the culprit. I just topped up oil yesterday, and after driving it for several months, I had to put in almost 3 quarts of oil! Quite honestly, I don't see this engine getting pulled down right now, as it is my only transportation, but I will ty the oil pressure test if I can locate a gauge. I'm gonna do a compression test too, as soon as I can get motivated. Thanks for your input, Burt, it's appreciated.
The odometer is at 250,590 miles! I guess I should be happy it's still running so smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts