Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my power steering pump shortly after I bought my truck in January. I had the system flushed right after I replaced the pump. I've had no noticeable leaks from the hoses or underneath the truck. However, I've had to fill up my reservoir twice in the past few days and it is empty now. To lose that much fluid, there should be a puddle. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

Consequently, I'll probably be driving my Charger up to MD this weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's probably the high pressure line. Mine is leaking as well, but only when I'm driving. Stop and turn it off no leaks. I'll bet the underside of your truck is nasty by now.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably the high pressure line. Mine is leaking as well, but only when I'm driving. Stop and turn it off no leaks. I'll bet the underside of your truck is nasty by now.
I'll bet you're right. It was quite nasty when I bought it, but what you're describing fits my situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to play it safe and replace both PS lines. It was when I got it up on hte stands that I realized I needed a wrench I didn't have (18). So, hopefully I'll get it fixed tomorrow after work and drive it to Carolina this weekend for Mother's Day.:)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

So after I got the wrench, I discovered that the P/S lines were buggered up at the connection to the rack and pinion unit; it appears the nuts were maybe cross-threaded then tightened way too tight with an improper wrench. This made me lean towards replacing the R&P unit. I continued to drive it (carefully monitoring the P/S resivoir) but when I was under it earlier this week I cleaned up all around the lines so I could easier see a leak. Yesterday, I fanally saw a puddle and my suspicions were confirmed: my R&P unit is leaking on the passenger side. I have a new one on the way along with outer tie rods; the unit comes with new inner tie rods. I will have this stuff installed along with my poly bushings for control arms and R&P unit next week. Needless to say, it did not make the trip to Carolina today.

To be continued...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Parts are in. Repairs are set to be made next week.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Truck dropped off today.:)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Repairs are complete. Alignment check and bring it home tomorrow.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts