Dakota Forumz banner

Losing power when acellerating

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DaksOnDaksOnDaks 
#1 ·
My 2007 Dakota has been acting up lately. When I hammer the gas to pass someone, beat a yellow light or climb a hill, my truck is staying in it's current gear and not shifting as it should, to give me the momentum that I need.
I have a video of the dash here that shows the RPM's skyrocket, but my speed barely increases: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151770467146667&l=6700103117437432736

Basically, if I'm driving along at 50km / hour (Canadian :D) which is about 30miles /hour, and I start to climb a hill, I'm not feeling the tranny shift gear, the engine revs up real high and I only get minimal speed increase.

I DON'T think this is a mechanical issue. The truck has low(ish) miles on it, and it's never hauled anything. It's in great shape otherwise. It's not spark plugs, cat conv, air filter, fuel filter.. I've checked all of that. I'm thinking maybe it's a speed sensor or a fuel sensor or something like that.

I have no check engine lights, no error codes when I hook it up to the computer.

Any thoughts? I hate throwing money at this thing trying to find the issue, and would hate to concede that my transmission is slipping or starting to go.

Again, here is a video of the speedometer/RPM's with sound (you can hear how it is rev'ing):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151770467146667&l=6700103117437432736

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sometimes a tps will make one idle rough, not always. You check them with a multimeter set on ohms. Hook it up to the terminals in the tps and check if the numbers change smoothly when you move the arm of the tps. A lot of older vehicles had a throttle cable and a kickdown cable but I think yours is electronic. The tps, somebody correct me if I am wrong, lets the computer know how far the throttle is open so the pcm can provide the correct fuel ratio and proper kickdown of the trans. Anyway it seems like a tps problem or any other problem would set a code. How many miles is on your truck? I doubt you have a trans problem but it sure would help if it set a code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.