Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay....NOW i've lost reverse. when I put it in the reverse position, it feels like it can't decide between forward and reverse. it seems to go forward fine except for the hard 2-3 first thing. i'm thinking/hoping for a piston or o-ring issue. can anyone tell me for sure or am i going to have to drop the tranny.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is how you adjust the reverse/3rd gear band in the trans this may help... its worth a shot

Rear Band (Low/Reverse)

The pan must be removed from the transmission to gain access to the low and reverse band adjusting screw.
  1. Drain the transmission fluid and remove the pan.
Low and reverse band adjusting screw
Click to Enlarge
  1. Loosen the band adjusting screw locknut and back it off about five turns. Be sure that the adjusting screw turns freely in the lever.
Use an inch lb. torque wrench to adjust the front band on the A-500 transmission
Click to Enlarge
  1. Tighten the adjusting screw to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Use wrenches to adjust the rear (low and reverse) band calibration screw and locknut
Click to Enlarge
  1. Back off the adjusting screw as follows:
    • A727 & A518: 2 turns
    • A998 & A999: 4 turns
    • A-500: 4 turns
    • 42RH: 4 turns
    • 46RH: 2 turns
    • 47RH: 3 turns
Keep the adjusting screw from turning, tighten and tighten the locknut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  1. Use a new gasket and install the transmission pan.

and heres how to adjust the kickdown band

Front (Kickdown) Band

The kickdown band adjusting screw is located on the left-hand side of the transmission case near the throttle lever shaft.
  1. Loosen the locknut and back it off about five turns. Be sure that the adjusting screw turns freely in the case.
External controls and adjustment points for the A727/A999 transmission
Click to Enlarge
  1. Tighten the adjusting screw to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
  2. Back off the adjusting screw to 21/2 turns.
  3. Hold the adjuster screw in position and tighten the locknut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
and here is how the throttle linkage that hooks to the trans should be

Throttle Linkage

1. Retract the ISC actuator by doing one of the following:
    1. If the DRBII scan tool is available, attach its connector to the diagnostic link-up. Start the engine and place the DRBII in the "Throttle Body Minimum Air Flow Test'' mode. Disconnect the electrical connector on the ISC actuator. Shut off the engine and disconnect the DRBII; the actuator is now fully retracted.
    2. If the DRBII is not available, two jumper wires may be used. With the engine off, disconnect the connector to the ISC actuator. Connect a pair of jumper wires to the battery. Connect the negative jumper to the top pin of the ISC actuator and the positive jumper to the other pin. Do not leave the jumpers connected for more than five seconds. Disconnect the jumpers and the ISC actuator is fully retracted.
Details of the transmission throttle linkage
Click to Enlarge
  1. Raise the vehicle and support safely.
  2. Loosen the adjustable swivel lock screw on the throttle rod enough so the rod travels freely in the swivel.
  3. Hold the throttle lever firmly forward against its internal stop and tighten the lock screw. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Reconnect the ISC actuator, if equipped.
  5. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position for at least five seconds, but do not start the engine. Turn the key to the OFF position.
  6. Start the engine and road test the vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts