Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a lot of little dings and scratches on my truck. i think the biggest one is not even an inch long. i bought one of those paint pens from dupli-color. is it worth it to try to fill in all those scratches (i'll put up some pics tomorrow)?

i also have a round one on the tailgate that is about the size of a pea that went to the metal and is now rusted. is it difficult to sand and repaint those kinds of things or should i just get the whole thing repainted? there are some on the tonneau cover too

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hard to say without seeing some pics of them

I had some tool give me 3 dings all at once up my rear driver side door and i was able to get a PDR guy to pop them all out and you can't tell they were even there.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Yeah, post the pics. Some may be able to be buffed out, some sanded and buffed, some will require filler and paint like the rusted one. . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jerry, you have the honor of what I believe is the first thread moved to the correct location on Dakota ForumZ. :D

Good luck with the body work!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry, you have the honor of what I believe is the first thread moved to the correct location on Dakota ForumZ. :D

Good luck with the body work!
LOL, thanks :eek:

i will have some pics up tomorrow

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, here are some pics. i think the fifth one is clearcoat rotting? not too worried about the back bumper, i might get a roll pan sometime in the future

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Those pictures are rough, definitely doing to need to touch up the paint in the first few. The 4th image is too deep to completely remove, but machine polishing can minimize it. I don't know what the last image is without more details. Is it rough?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use the Duplicolor touch up paint on my truck and I'm pleased with the results. I've only used the brush and not the roller ball end though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Duplicolor touch up paint on my truck and I'm pleased with the results. I've only used the brush and not the roller ball end though.
thats what i have. i think i will do a spot thats not too visible and see how it goes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bumper looks like the worst of it, but thats pretty common unfortunately...although i see more front bumper rusted out than rears

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know what it was about that gen's bumpers, but they all rusted out for some odd reason, even when repainted.

For the fix, the paint pen will solve the issues in #1 and #4; #2 and #3 will need to be sanded down and repainted, and I'd try to buff/polish out the clear coat issues in #5

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what it was about that gen's bumpers, but they all rusted out for some odd reason, even when repainted.

For the fix, the paint pen will solve the issues in #1 and #4; #2 and #3 will need to be sanded down and repainted, and I'd try to buff/polish out the clear coat issues in #5
thanks! so you think #5 is the clearcoat? thats what i thought too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes, clear on the last... You should be able to get a small bottle of paint with a brush, i would clean out the rusty spot, 'scratch' out the edge of the spot (i used a small knife point). The brush is puttung a drip of paint on which is better for the first two. On your test you want to try and lay that down in one stroke/touch... it will skim up fast. The pen works better for lines.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So how did the touch up paint work for ya? Were you able to at least hide a couple of those nicks? I do the same thing as Randy, use the brush end of the tube.

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how did the touch up paint work for ya? Were you able to at least hide a couple of those nicks? I do the same thing as Randy, use the brush end of the tube.

- Cajun
just did the first coat with the brush side on a couple of the scratches, wanted to wait till it cooled down. it looks a little darker than the rest of the paint. im sure thats fading over the past 10 years

G

·
those are some good dents but nothing to to bad the clear rot the sell spray can clear works good sand your clear down and spray some new clear on but try not to park in the sun alot thats wat makes your clear die back and fade then turn like a yellow color sucks but it happens

1 - 17 of 17 Posts