Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a 2000 dodge dakota slt, 4-door, 4wd with the 4.7L engine. The motor has fun fine and always around the 190* mark. All of a sudden my temp. gauge will only rise to around 140. I have also noticed the fan being very loud. Could this be a fan clutch or a thermostat issue?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Borrow a non-contact thermometer and see how hot the thermostat housing is getting to; also, see how fluid the fan is when the motor is cold (like not having run overnight.) If you can't spin the fan cold, it's the clutch.

If you can't spin it, you can for right now just take the clutch off the unit (clutch and fan blade), and run without; the front pusher fan will come on when it gets hot enough.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was wondering about the other fan that was on it. I thought someone had installed an electric fan. I know the mechanical fan is super loud. Sounds like a jet engine when you give it some gas.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
792 Posts
If the fan doesn't quiet down after a mile or so of driving, it is going/has gone bad. That was the first thing I replaced on my 2003 Dakota when I bought it in 2010. Makes a world of difference!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update about the issues I was having. The thermostat was the problem with the low temp issue and the clutch fan fixed the jet engine sound. Also made the truck run much smoother. Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts